Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1990 K1500 Possilbe Engine Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: 1990 K1500 Possilbe Engine Noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Took my plow truck to town today to get gas. Heard something vibrating on the way there and back from time to time. When I got home I left the truck idling and opened the hood. Turned out the rattling was the plow lights old and decrypt. But then I noticed what was either an engine knock or or something loose and moving and making a knocking sound. Went to the drivers side and raised the engine rpms and the noise went away, let it idle back down and the noise came back. Nonie seems to go away above idle. Had no problem with power or dive-ability on my way to and from town. Will check it out more tomorrow, my current health condition makes long standing or working difficult and painful. Checked oil it was clean and full and oil pressure was good. Noise seemed like it might have been a little louder on the passenger side. This is the 4.3l engine.

Thanks for any and all info.
Bill

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 K1500 Possilbe Engine Noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a wooden dowel around three feet long + or -, place it on different spots on the engine and put your ear to the upper end. You can usually get closer to the place where the noise originates. You can also run the engine while pulling one plug wire at a time (don't get zapped, you may have to shut it off in between). If it's related to one piston, wrist pin or connecting rod bearing it will likely get quiet while not firing on that hole. I had a 350 once that had a knock. It sounded so convincing that a rod bearing would be the trouble spot. We had that engine in and out of vehicles, apart and put together more times than I like to think while all specs were right where they should be. My brother said it's likely a piston slap noise. He said "buy and install off center pistons and the noise will go away", wouldn't you know that cured it! Sometimes it takes a number of tries before the problem is found.

Dustydoo
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 K1500 Possilbe Engine Noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 4.3 engine is notorious for piston slap, it will sound like a wrist pin. They seldom cause any problems, just annoying.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters