Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Left the key on

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooter143
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi folks, I used to be a regular visitor here but got busy with life and have somehow managed to keep all my tractors running with few problems. Until today. I brought my 48 8n front-mount up to the house from the farm and left the key on overnight. It was running great before but now wont start. A quick check showed no spark. What kind of damage did I likely do?

Mad Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Cooter143 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:58:30 04/07/21) Hi folks, I used to be a regular visitor here but got busy with life and have somehow managed to keep all my tractors running with few problems. Until today. I brought my 48 8n front-mount up to the house from the farm and left the key on overnight. It was running great before but now wont start. A quick check showed no spark. What kind of damage did I likely do?

Burnt points.

Worse, burnt points and coil.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep.... Burnt points......maybe coil ...

John in Mich
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Points and coil. My question would be, what were you doing that you left the key ON after the engine was shut off? Not critisizing. Not an exclusive club, BTDT. LOL

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John in Mich wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:09:10 04/08/21) Points and coil. My question would be, what were you doing that you left the key ON after the engine was shut off? Not critisizing. Not an exclusive club, BTDT. LOL

John, I burned up an EI unit when my fire pager went off. Fortunately they pay well for the response.

Cooter143
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had it shut down on the trailer and decided to shift it back a little bit. It was flooded so I left it where it was, and I guess I left the key on too. Ive done that a few times on my other 8n but Ive gotten away with it until now.

Thanks everybody, is there a way to test the coil? I was going to change the points anyway.

Petnew56
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have left the ignition turned on a couple of times and it was the coil that burnt up.

Thought I had myself trained but obviously I am a slow learner.

Expensive lesson every time.

Peter

Mad Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can tell if it's bad with a multi-meter, check resistance primary and secondary. BUT, if it's resistance is OK, it could still be bad. That is you can tell if it is bad, sometimes.

I can't remember proper resistance for 6V coils? It written down with notes in my tool shed. Someone here will know

Don't buy a cheap Chi-Com coil, they are horrible. One I looked at at TSC, the top cover was not even on tight.

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From the top of the coil to the pig tail should be around 1 ohm for a 6 volt and 2-3 ohms for a 12 volt. From the top of the coil to tab, cap contact, should be around 6K ohms.

Lynn Patrick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suspect there is a band of burglars around who do nothing but sneak in & turn keys on! Anyway I happened to notice the key on my '52 Major was on the other day. I have no idea when it got turned on, but it cost me a 12v coil!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May be as easy as eye balling the coil.....often melt, ooze, crack.

Cooter143
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what I found. Yellowy wax on the side of the coil and dripped
all underneath. I picked up a new one and replaced the points and
plug wires while I had it off. Tomorrow Ill know if I did it right or not.
Thanks for everyones help.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lynn Patrick wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:38:26 04/08/21) I suspect there is a band of burglars around who do nothing but sneak in & turn keys on! Anyway I happened to notice the key on my '52 Major was on the other day. I have no idea when it got turned on, but it cost me a 12v coil!

My tractor sits outside and they hit me on a regular basis. All it costs me is a jump start - tractor is a diesel Shocked

TOH

Mad Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jim L WA wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:23:03 04/08/21) From the top of the coil to the pig tail should be around 1 ohm for a 6 volt and 2-3 ohms for a 12 volt. From the top of the coil to tab, cap contact, should be around 6K ohms.

Add this to my N notes on my computer.

Sometimes with key on you get lucky and the points are open

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Left the key on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jim L WA wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:23:03 04/08/21) From the top of the coil to the pig tail should be around 1 ohm for a 6 volt and 2-3 ohms for a 12 volt. From the top of the coil to tab, cap contact, should be around 6K ohms.

Jim your values are good but your terminology is not likely going to do most readers much good. Coils have terminals only at the top.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters