Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis CA Cutout to Voltage Regulator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewJS
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Allis CA Cutout to Voltage Regulator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

Posted a while back about my CA. Got it running pretty well and have used a back blade I've got with it to clean up some hedgerows around the property to good effect. I am now trying to sort out the electrical system. I don't believe the generator is charging the battery -- this is difficult to confirm however as my ammeter never moves and the hi-lo charge switch is seized in the first position. While running I checked the terminals on the generator (F, A, and both on the cutout) and had ~6 or ~7 volts on all except the F, which was low (about 2 volts). From reading online I believe this may indicate a faulty cutout. If this is the case, would it be wise to remove both the old switch and the cutout and replace with a 2-position switch and a voltage regulator? This seems to be a much more foolproof system and a decent upgrade if I'm going to have to replace both anyway.

Thanks.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis CA Cutout to Voltage Regulator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

F is the ground wire... A is the hot wire... The ground wire goes to the light switch to be grounded.. to BYPASS that for a test, run a jumper from the F terminal to ground and then see if the A terminal has output ( above 7 volts) ... If so, your light switch is the problem...

Next, measure the OUTPUT from the cutout to see if it is CLOSED and the power from A is going thru the cutout.. You should get the same volts ( above 7) out OUTPUT and you do on the INPUT.

jimtrs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis CA Cutout to Voltage Regulator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-AndrewJS wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:38:54 04/19/21)
.... If this is the case, would it be wise to remove both the old switch and the cutout and replace with a 2-position switch and a voltage regulator? This seems to be a much more foolproof system .....

My experience is that is is difficult, if not near impossible to get a reliable good working 6 volt regulator.

phil(va)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis CA Cutout to Voltage Regulator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While running you could put volt meter across battery terminals and check if charging or not. Should be about 7 volts if it's 6 volt system.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters