Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Heating a small greenhouse

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heating a small greenhouse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I built a 12x12x8 with clear plastic corrugated panels I bought at the big box store. Propane tank was nearby that fueled the house so I tapped into that and put a radiant 2 burner wall mounted unit I removed from the house for some reason...guessing 10k BTU. 20s were the coldest days and it worked but I needed deep pockets to keep the propane supplied. No insulation and vent at the top (2x4) gap where the roof rafters sat which I plugged in the winter with foam blocks, made for a hard to keep warm place and that's here in N. Texas, not N. Montana.

I know you said no electricity, but I used them too, the red radiant type and they worked ok for spot heat.

My opinion of one is to use it for garden storage and clip pictures of what you like to see out of magazines and paste them to the walls!

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Heating a small greenhouse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing to do this AM so let's play with some numbers:

Propane is about 91k BTU per gallon and costs roughly $2.50 in small refillable bottles. 10k burner or maybe 15 or 20 in Northern climates, running full blast 24/7: 9 hrs per gallon, 2.5 gallons per day, $75 per month for 10k BTU burner......sounds like a wise investment................ I think I recall telling my wife that her idea, after building the thing, outfitting it and all that goes with it, was not well thought out.......after surviving the first winter. Besides that she didn't have a lot of things in there to protect.

John S-B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Heating a small greenhouse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After some trial and error, I've found a solution I think will work well. I can get an adapter so that I can use Bunsen burners off of a 20lb propane tank to heat the water. All the burners that I could get for grills or camping were too big, but a Bunsen burner like they use in labs and chemistry classes should work great. I figure two burners would be enough. It's warm enough now that I don't need any heat source, but I'll get this rigged up in early fall to try it out. Should cost less than $100, and I already have a couple of tanks.

Farmall 504
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heating a small greenhouse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GeoThermal

Dig hole under greenhouse location, as deep as possible without hitting water, preferably 8'+. Line hole with 6 mil plastic sheet, (air/water barrier). Build framing to hold 6 inches white insulation board against bottom and side, seal pieces tightly. Fill 2 feet soil/gravel/sand, any or all. Lay 6inch black flex pipe 2 feet apart across 2'soil and up side walls with 2' left above ground. Pack around pipes filling 2 feet more soil, then another layer of pipes, 4 layers total. Pack and fill tightly around pipes and the hole generally. Fill to ground level. Build box to terminate pipe ends at each end of greenhouse. These will sit on top of pipe and create a vacuum box. Cut 6 hole in top of box. At one end a duct fan goes in that hole, at the other end another pipe goes in hole, then up along center of ceiling and acts as intake plenum. Most systems split the pipes into two sets, so at one end of GH you'll have two boxes with duct vents, and the other end will have two boxes with pipes up to ceiling. Duct fan pull air from warmest point, ceiling, down through pipes into ground, warming it. During day when sun warms GH fans pull warm air in. At night warm air is extracted from the ground. Fans are blowing ground temp, up to 70+. DC duct fans pull very little current and push a lot of air, at least 500cfm ea., so two make it a lot, able to turnover all the air in a minute or so. Ground is naturally 52degrees at 8ft. You can warm it more during summer and start the winter with ground at nearly 80. If you grow plants that are tolerant to 32 it works. Citrus trees are perfect.

I built one. It works. With solar it's free warming. I haven't gone solar, I trenched a big wire, but that's not hard to do, and now we have 30amp available way out in a backyard field, which is nice. Greenhouse uses almost nothing. Far less than $1/day.

More info to anyone interested. Mine is just a good 1 3/4 pvc hoophouse, but they can use any type of GH structure. TMANY more details, but very easy to build. Amazing technology, needs to be developed further. No need to be trucking citrus into the Midwest and North, ever.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters