Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD model E

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: JD model E Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to put new piston rings in a 1.5 hp. JD model E. Whats
the best way to remove the piston? Doesnt look like it will
clear the governor gear if I try to pull it out the back. Any help
is appreciated. Thanks Mark

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: JD model E Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-Mark Poss"]/quote]

Since the cylinder head is removable on these engines I'm wondering why you are trying to remove the piston in the other direction, is it because of rust or a deep "ridge" in the sleeve?

If you don't already have the head off I would think you why also want to check the valves and grind them if needed.

Johndeereguy37
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: JD model E Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Mark,
You'd really be best to remove the cylinder head and remove the piston from the front. Not only will this allow you to install the piston because there is a chamfer in the front of the cylinder to install the piston and rings easily, it would allow you to clean the water jacket on a 3 or 6 horse. On your 1.5 it is a air cooled head so the water jacket doesn't go into the head so that doesn't help...
I've found in the few of these that I've done compression and oil burning can often be caused because the front ring is sticky in it's groove. Often times it can be cleaned and reinstalled if you'd like.

Hope I could help.

JB

Mark Poss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: JD model E Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys. Im going to pull the head and bring it out the front

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Stationary Engines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters