Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 930 Brake Disassembly

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a new-to-me Case 930 Comfort King GP. Works great with a few minor issues in the back + non-existent brakes. Brakes are my priority for safety reasons.

I got the brake housings opened up on both sides. The left-side brakes are off up to the gizmo that pushes the pads outwards. My problem is with the right side. I cannot get the first disc off the spindle. It's almost like there is a lip on the end of the spindle that's keeping the disc in place. Neither the service manual nor the parts catalog show this lip, in fact they both seem to make the assumption that the left and right are mirrors of one another.

I don't have the tire off, so it's hard to really see to well, but as best as I can make out, there is a cap on the end of the right-side's spindle. It has a lip that is holding the disc on. The "cap" has two little slits, one at 6 the other at 12. The cap is either poorly cast or has seen some damage.

I've looked on Youtube at the one or two videos of brake replacements and it seems that the people all universally just show the left side... Looked here in these forums and elsewhere and cannot see any indication of this "cap" or the confounded lip.

Anyone know what I'm looking at and more importantly, how to get the discs off?

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both sides are the same and should just slide off. They do
sometimes get grooves worn into the splines that can make
that difficult, also rust can stick them. Whack the disc with a
hammer to break it loose. To get the actuator off loosen the
clamp on the shaft and slide that off with the actuator.

pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I ran outside and grabbed a few pictures.

pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pard wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:15:39 05/01/21) Thanks for the quick response. I ran outside and grabbed a few pictures.

Hm, try that again. It doesn't look like I'm allowed to use the img tag, let's see if I can post the links to them.

forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto74520.jpg

forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto74521.jpg

Cash4Toys
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to assume that no one has looked at your link. I think you should wire brush that one side off better, get some better pic's, then go to the test portion of this site, post some more responces there, and then you can post pictures directly in your post.
It, appears, mind you now, I said it appears, as though someone welded something, a washer maybe on the shaft end. There are some pretty sharp Case guys on this Case forum, and pretty confident they can explain. But, to clarify, clean it better, and get some good pics posted.
Mean while, go to Caseih parts, and you look up your tractor model, and then you look at the parts breakdown.

Cash4Toys
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pard, I did a snip of picture you posted in your link, trying to help you out here. Pretty confident your gonna get some responses once they see the pic. I don't know what to tell you.
If my eyes are not deceiving me, it's time for you self reflect. How good of a mechanic are you? Source of tools, some technical as well? What kind of money do you want to put in this? What is the rest of the tractor like? Is this a family heirloom or something you just bought? Make yourself a list of everything it needs and way all of the costs before you go any further, just my opinion.

pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Cash4Toys wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:24:27 05/01/21)How good of a mechanic are you? Source of tools, some technical as well? What kind of money do you want to put in this? What is the rest of the tractor like? Is this a family heirloom or something you just bought? Make yourself a list of everything it needs and way all of the costs before you go any further, just my opinion.

I have no sentimental value in the tractor. Bought it last week. I bought it because I need a heavy, slow tractor to pull about 40-50 acres of stumps and to run a round baler. Other than brakes everything else it needs is pretty small (left top hyrd. needs a new hose, need a bolt for the right sway block, need to remove old, dried out grease on the draft-o-matic, might consider getting a new housing for the air filter since it's chipped.

The biggest expense is the hose. Engine has like 400 hours on it, shifts great, little sticky getting into R, but smooth otherwise. Starts on the third turn-over every time, probably sooner, I always forget to throttle up.

My initial cost estimate was $80 for the hose and everything else should come in under $30. With the brakes off though, probably need new springs, boots, and most likely seals/O-rings. So costs to get it back up to snuff is low. But my biggest thing is I just bought it and don't really wanna try selling it, probably won't get my money back -- I'm too honest to omit the brake issue.

I'll get it cleaned up and use my wife's camera to get some nice pictures after church. If it is welded on, it's gotta be an after-market thing. Welds could very well be poor. Might be able to slide by with just a carbide blade. I'm an alright mechanic, I am pretty confident I can tackle most things that arise, took four years of auto in high school, and have worked on a number of vehicles since then. I don't have the most tools in the world, but I can probably get my hands on them, my neighbor used to be a mechanic and now fixes tractors for kicks.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh my, that is a mess. That is going to take some work to get back in working condition. Start by bringing those welds off and getting the discs off to see just what you have. But I'm thinking a pinion shaft replacement is in your future.

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Someone made a mess there. Looks like the plug in the end of the hollow shaft was leaking transmission oil into the brakes, and someone welded a cap on the end to stop the leak. I would start by draining the rear end, grinding just enough weld off to get the cap off so the brake disk will slide off the spline. Grinding from the end of the shaft should not cause serious damage as the original plug seals to the inside of the hollow shaft. If the shaft is 1/8 shorter than original it should make no difference. Seeing in person would give us a much better idea of what you are up against.

pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From my poking this afternoon, it appears that it might be the cap got welded, like you said, to keep the leak out. And it also looks like the disc has no teeth on it, so I think the lip was welded on, at least, to hold the disc in place so it's useful for braking... Mad

Going to run into town tomorrow and grab a mask so I can at least cut that disc off. No clue where my respirator got too (we moved four weeks ago and all my tools are still in boxes). The disc is $12 and it looks to be a total goner anyway, so I have no qualms with just cutting it in half and getting it out. Then that should give me ample room to get that welded bit off the end with either a grinder or an osculating blade.

I'm hoping it's someone who couldn't be bothered to fetch a $12 part, I'd really rather not have to open up the diff or anything like that to replace the whole thing.

pard
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Case 930 Brake Disassembly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a better picture, just took forever to get it onto my computer and uploaded (we have sloooooooooooooooooow internet).

This is the botched right side again.

And this is the left, normal side.

It looks to me like they actually cut off a 1/4 inch or so on the botched side. See the bit that sticks out past the cap? It looks like that got removed and the cap we're looking at on the right is the original one. Might be wrong, but it seems to be the same on both. I'll know more after I get back from town and cut everything up.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters