Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finally a chance to test the pto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the 4020 . No more noise . Hydraulics work like they should as well . Still need to replace the left hub and get the new front wheels on and the new rear tire . Still have a fuel leak around the pump going to try a different washer

Johnny Farmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are the washers I use on my pumps, They don't leak.

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a little TLC and those old workhorses keep on going. Thanks for the update!

Plant Doc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SV: Regarding the fuel leak around pump, I had the same problem. I tried a variety of different washers with not luck. After many four letter words I removed the line that was leaking and found the bango fitting had a hairline crack in it. I had to use a magnifier to see the crack, but it was there. Put on new line and problem solved. Take a look when you install new washer. Hope this helps.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May not be the washers or cracked line at all, that oddball pump is also known to have leaks that can't be stopped. I have the same pump on my 1970 4020, starts/runs well with no leaks but it's coming off this summer for the JDB pump and lines I have ready to install..

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know its the washers because I tried some carbon fiber washers and they sealed the leak but they didnt last so I found some really soft copper and they sealed but didnt last

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have thought about getting new lines but I havent done it yet

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its nice to have it all back working

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks better anyway with that new housing

rrman61
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a similar problem once on a international 454 tractor. just couldnt completely stop the leak so I used my dads old trick:a strand from a piece of tarred twine like some people use for a trot line.3 or4 wraps between the washer and mating surface and it never leaked again and its been 20 years.also works on a fuel line with the strand of twine between the Ferrell and brass nut on the fitting.the tar hurts nothing because it just compresses like an adhesive would

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That might work on a LOW pressure line, but not on a high pressure line. Some injectors open at 3000 PSI, and some newer engines 4500-4600 PSI.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around the main steel body of that pump are small plugs in line with each injector line outlet port, the plugs close off the holes used in the drilling process. They are covered with epoxy and are not to be removed as they are not serviceable if/when leaks start in that area. Main reason I want to replace my working pump is I HATE the low speed lousy governor response those pumps are also known for..

rrman61
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally a chance to test the pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assumed it was a low pressure line and of course your right

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters