Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Inexspensive Round Baler

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hittleconstruction
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are these machines good for Alalfa & Grass both?

David from Kansas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look on auctiontime.com as there are lots of balers listed there. Find one that fits your needs/budget and go take a look at it and talk to the owner. Have been round baling for nearly 50 years and only ever used Gehl, Vermeer, Hesston, and John
Deere. Gehl was the first ever and it did a decent job. Never used it enough to answer questions about durability, etc. Only ever used a Vermeer one time and thought it was a big disappointment, but maybe because it hadn't been maintained. Baled quite a bit with a Hesston which was son's purchased new as a second baler and it did a decent job and had automatic tie which was a plus. Most experience was with JD balers from 530 models up to and including 568. All did a good job and were pretty maintenance free, although any baler requires new teeth, new belts, chains and sprockets and new bearings now and then. Balers have been vastly improved over the years, as has most machinery. Good luck with your endeavor.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chain balers grind up the leaves on alfalfa. Around here a working one goes $4000 anyhow.

I bought my 605f Vermeer for $1600 years ago. I rarely see a round baler go less than $4000 around here, even stuff that doesnt look like it would work without a lot of repairs. Hay making is a road ditch and wet spots deal here, everyone wants a blazer for little jobs, so the prices are high.

Good luck!

Hay hay hay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at an OMC 590 or 595 or 596. (sale as Gehl 1310 or 1710). Soft core bale. Simple, many in your neck of the woods. Does take a lot of HP. I run a 595 with 70 PTO HP.
No monitor, twine tie. I make all grass hay. Not sure about alfalfa with this baler.

JDIH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Gehl that I bought 10 years ago in that price range. Never been outside, still with shiney paint. I was in the same situation as you when I got it. with a little practice it makes a pretty darn good bale. Gehl gets a bad name on here because they have abandoned their ag equipment. But in 10 years I've never needed a part that TSC didnt have. Chains, u joints, belts, bearings, sprockets are the main things you'd need, all of which are available.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soft core / fixed chamber balers dont compress the centre as they build a bale, the hay tumbles inside and gets packed as more and more goes in. Im more familiar with the roller and krone type chain/slat fixed chamber balers but Im sure Ive seen belt models too. They are less desirable to most folks as the bales look sloppy and are maybe 20% lighter. We never have moisture/dust problems though and the critters eat them fine.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It doesn't grind up any other leaves so why would it grind up alfalfa leaves.Biggest two problems with chain balers,people don't run them right and don't rake near big enough windrows.Personally I'm happy with that would much rather buy a good baler for $500 than have to spend $5000 or more.

Hittleconstruction
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh ok. Ya would like to go with tighter, heavier bales. But if its a good price i could start with one.

Hittleconstruction
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I dont need fancy. dont care what i looks like or what color it is. Just a good solid machine that can roll alfalfa and grass, with good tight bales.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are going to sell hay, you need a pretty bale, solid core. Chain balers make rough looking bales. If you are going to feed it a soft core baler will be much cheaper to buy and the animals will love it. Check out the M&W, and OMC.

JDIH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Hay hay hay wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:00:03 05/04/21) If you are going to sell hay, you need a pretty bale, solid core.

This is true in my area. Pretty bales full of poor hay will sell better than good hay in a poor looking bale. Also if you're going to sell, 4' wide are what everyone around here wants so you can haul them on the road at 8' wide

Hittleconstruction
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mostly going to sell. Just planted 2acres of alfalfa, adding 14 acres next year. and have 15 acres of grass in the back. Sell 3/4 of that.

Hittleconstruction
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, that would be nice, since its always a sunday when things seem to breakdown.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

True here as well. 4ft pretty bale.. also avoid old closed throat balers. A jammed baler is a nasty mess. Old smooth or worn belts can
make starting a bale difficult in slick grass hay. All these issues make the price of a suitable used baler go higher.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Inexspensive Round Baler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The chain balers are well liked for baling corn stalks around here by the old slow folk, handle stalks better than other old balers.

With so much of the bale exposed as it spins around, it is natural more alfalfa leaves will get knocked off and fall out of the bale onto the ground and lost. Same really for grass hay, but we dont notice as much with grass bales. They bale the alfalfa fine, but you do lose a small bit of protein with them. Enough to bother? Grade A high volume dairy farmers it matters a lot, beef feeder probably doesnt matter too much. In either case the small operator is nearly gone here, need a $35,000 new Green or Yellow round baler to keep up the volume and quality wanted these days.

I enjoy the slower pace folk on this forum often have, but just pointing out the differences of the balers.

You will lose a few alfalfa leaves with a chain baler. Since this used to be a 40-120 head dairy region, chain balers were abandoned as soon as the belt balers came out. Dairy farmers want all the leaves they can capture. If you are doing higher quality alfalfa, it might matter.

Im using a Vermeer 605F baler to bale the poorer quality stuff here (lots of rain in my area) and I small square the better stuff for more value. So Im good with using an older round baler that doesnt do the best quality.

Just as you are looking for Im guessing.

Just mentioning the differences so you can understand which and what has its stronger and weaker points.

Paul

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters