Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. T. Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forum,
Just picked up an ancient IH No. 8 Genius two bottom plow. Not sure of the age but it has steel wheels and numbers that do not help with putting an ID on age. Question is what makes the lift system operate? What exactly is inside the bell on the left side creates the lift? I plan to use it in Northern Minnesota to turn a field to plant clover for deer. Any and all info is welcome.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a ..dog stop.. when you pull the rope to lift it locks
the wheel to turn the raising mechanism. Then due to the angle of the wheel
attachment bar it pivots like it is going get run over by the
plow to a more vertical angle raising the plow. Once the
raising bar is in the raised position another
linkage releases the wheel lock dog so the wheel can then
turn again. See link.
Poke here

Mr. T. Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Red Mn,
Thanks for the info! That helped a lot. Thought there may be some kind of clutch in the bell! In all the research I have done it seems this trailer plow is a good one.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're good plows if they're in good condition but like anything that is 100 years old, it could be slap wore out...

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will suggest taking it all apart. It is probably full of dirt and rust that will interfere with the operation. Once you have it apart, it is easy to understand how it works.

1946 BN IHC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once you have the clutch apart check all hinge pins and springs. Just finished [last summer] rebuilding ours. The pins were warn and the spring was shot drilled the pins out to the next larges [ easy job since the ware was almost there] the spring took to the local hardware and found one close [maybe a bit stronger than original] now is snug, trips well and runs smooth. Well worth the time and effort to make a good piece of machinery work well. Ours is the Canadian cousin to yours #8C. By the way Even went to the local bearing supply and ordered a thin walled bushing for the wheel axel; so the wheel runs tight and smooth and easy on the axel. The land wheel seams to take all the brunt of wear and I have found that few farmers seemed to look after this machine properly. I have my second one and both were in need of rework. Even the coulters on this one I have had to junk and find replacements which I will be picking up in a few weeks.
Wm.

Mr. T. Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: IH No. 8 Genius plow lift mechanism Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forum,
Thanks for the replies. Removed the plow from the trailer and tested the lift mechanism and all seems in good shape. I will dismantle and check the inside workings. Another question
concerns the quick release hitch. I plan to take apart the quick release and clean it up. Looking at it I have not quite figured out how it trips. The spring set bolt is quite snug and may
require some extra care when loosening. What color was this when new-1920s or so? Currently it is a definite shade of rust! One more question, why is there a hollowed out portion at
the lead edge of the mow board. Both boards are identical. Any and all info is appreciated.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters