Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1850 gas to diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom upton
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so Ive got this 1850 gas in the picture that I really dont use much as it is a pig on gas. I guess I should have known better when I bought
it , but it is a pretty clean original tractor with relatively low hours (4000 showing on working tach)also came with a new set of 18.4 38
firestones which are worth pretty much what I paid for tractor. Anyway I am thinking of converting it to a diesel. Ive got a 1850 tub from a
fire victim, and a 354 sitting in a parts 105. My question is will the tub from the 105 bolt up to the 1850 rear, or do I need to use the tub
from the burnt 1850? Also is there anyway to make the 3 speed from the 2-105 work in the 1850? There is a 3 speed in the burnt 1850 but I am
assuming after going thru a fire that was bad enough it melted all the aluminum on tractor that 3 speed would be pretty much junk? Use case
from it and parts out of 2-105?? Any help/suggestions appreciated so I dont start down the wrong road.

KFFarm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should you decide to go forward with this swap, I might be interested in your gas engine. Ive got an 1850 LP in need of an engine.

MikeO-WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a swap of a 2-105 engine and tub to a 1855 that had blown the engine to pieces. Everything matched up very nicely but I was told that you had to check the 2-105 tub since it either had an extension bolted on to make room for the air cleaner in front of the radiator or it was casted into the tub. I know mine had the extension bolted on and when the extension was removed, it looked just like the place where the weights attached on the 1855. I would think that a 2-105 tub would bolt up with no problem since they were using this tub already.

NYOlivers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tub from the white 105 will bolt up to to your 1850. As for the 3speed it should work, does the 105 have a chain coupler connection to the trans input shaft? I know some of the bigger whites have a truion mount sich as a 2_135/155. I would use all the linkages from the burt 1850 to make the 3speed work. Basically make one tractor out of 3.

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My question would be; how much will the conversion cost compared to the cost of gas over the next 10 years?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can use the 2-105 tub, I would. The front motor mounts are different than they are with the 1850 tub and engine. That 2-105 trunion on the 3 speed is going to be the problem. Using the 1850 case and 2-105 guts might be the way to go like you said. Linkage will be the big issue if you take two and make one. That and a cooler, but the 2-105 cooler might mount in front of the radiator OK. Like Mike said, that front frame piece on the 2-105 could well be just bolted on where the weights bolt on the 1850. My 1979 model is.

NYOlivers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1850 gas to diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was not sure about the trunion mount. I did not know if they used them in that series tractor. Probably the best thing to do rebuild the over/under fron the 1850.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters