Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

G clutch again....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, a month or so ago I got the clutch back together on my G. New facings, toggles, dogs, bolts. Yet I still have a problem... if I set it up nice and tight, like it should be, it won't stop. If I loosen it so it won't drag, it will slip very easily.

What am I missing????

The bearing seemed good, I repacked it with grease so I don't think that is dragging.

I've replaced the pulley brake, and messed with the adjustment.

The drive disk is on correctly, and about flush with the end of the crank.

I THINK the brass fork is in the right place.

I and T suggests milling some off the operating sleeve in such situations.... is this something I need to consider?

The tractor had similar symptoms prior to coming apart. I did find a crack in the center disk, and a cracked dog... I hoped this would solve the issue. Ideas out there??????

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would add that I was a bit concerned with the new dogs... they were from an aftermarket supplier, and the holes were not drilled particularly straight.

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well from my experience if the drive disk to flush with the crank shaft it's going on too far. You could reinstall a worn inside clutch
disk & see if that helps I believe your issue is it's dragging on the inside facing. Or you could attempt to make a brass shim for the driver
as a test. I've used a pop can too. If you can get it to fit & if you get it tight it will last a VERY LONG time. It's cheaper than buying a
driver. This is my 2 cents.. LOL

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is your clutch brake adjusted correctly?

Broken wheel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you used an after market pully brake pad, they are too thick. I had the same problem on a J D 70. If there is too much wear on the sleeve the clutch will start to engage when you pull the clutch lever back. You can check that by pulling back on the lever when the pully is stopped and see if it starts to drive again.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen...

Ken in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently did a clutch on a late G and had somewhat similar issues. In my case, the aftermarket disc/facing that slides onto the bolts was binding on the bolts. I drilled the holes out just enough for them to slide freely on the bolts.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll look at that, too.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was wondering about this as well. Thanks

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only other thing might be give it a little more crank shaft endplay.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

End play is pretty tight right now...

kurt v
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have the discs on the correct pins (rod) ?

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a issue with a 620 black dash, but I had too much clearance in the inside disk, I figured that out after I replaced everything new & still had a problem. New dogs, pin's, adjusting T bolts, brass fork floating plate all the disk. Only thing that wasn't new was a adjusting plate, drive disc & pully. Drive disk fit perfect & lacked a little better than a 1/8 from flush with the crank. When tractor was shut down & clutch adjusted seemed perfect, but when running wide open it would fall out. Loosen the adjustment it would not fall out/ disengage but it would slip. What what happening only pulling on the outside of the disk. I tired moving the crank shaft but was already against the the plastic spacers inside the case. If I install 2 worn disc on the inside it worked perfect. I removed the pulley from our 630 which worked perfect & installed on ton the 620. The clutch worked perfect, with little effort to snap in & it wouldn't slip. So I put the whole pulley on the 630 & it suddenly had the same problem. What I found out in the end the pulley on the 620 was cut too deep. When I bought the tractor the man told me, ever since he owned it, they clutch was hard to get it right & keep adjusted right. I thought I could fix that easy? Once I found a good used pull asy, the tractor now has a nice clutch. There was almost 3/16 difference between the 630 pully & the 620 pulley measuring from where the cover mount to the machined clutch face.. The used pull I bought came off a 630 also, it was a struggle but it's fixed.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not completely clear on where you are measuring from???

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: G clutch again.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a G, they go on the bolts... there are no pins like on a 70 or similar...

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters