Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2020 loader hydraulic issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off thanks for adding me to the forum, Ive read many posts and learned a lot on here.
I recently bought a 1966 John Deere 2020. Ran fine, had some bad shutter in the hydraulic system. Got it home changed the hydraulic fluid, filters, cleaned all the screens, nothing too bad on them. Shutter seemed better.

Then after a week or so of using it to move some dirt all my hydraulics got real slow and then stopped all together. I had a leak in one of the rockshaft valves, oil was moving around in the rockshaft area, fixed that, no leak now. My loader was plumbed into the rear SCV quick connects, supply and return. Sooo,
I have replumbed the loader with a tee into the pressure line by the brake pedals, put the return line into a ported hydraulic filter cover. Replaced the old loader control valve with a new one and installed the closed center conversion plug and closed the pressure valve all the way down on it.
After installing the new loader valve and after the replumbing, everything worked amazing for about 30 minutes, no shutters, plenty of power, etc. Then after about 30 minutes it started to shutter again, and now its slow and some times wont move at all again.
I double checked the return line from the loader, now fluid coming out when running and in neutral position, no fluid moving inside rockshaft area.
Help!

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to YT
You need to check trans pump GPM output which should be 4-5 GPM. Another possibility is faulty stroke control valve in frt hyd pump.

Closed hyd repair requires ""very good diagnostic procedures"'.

Harry in Ky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm curious about your last remarks. Fluid coming out of the return line when running and valves in neutral? If your valve is working properly
there should be no fluid in the return line with both spools in neutral. If this is indeed the case, I'd want to check the seal on the closed
center plug and see what you find. Or maybe the relief valve is letting fluid by.

Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
I disconnected the return line to see if fluid was coming out as in the valve wasnt really closed center as it should be or something was letting fluid by like you said, but no fluid came out, apparently showing the valve is closed center and working properly in that regard.

Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would either of those cause it to work great for a few minutes and then begin to fail again so quickly?
How would I go about checking those?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil is warming up, thinning out and the trans pump can not keep up with the demand .
Is the tractor equipped with the hydraulic high-low shift or a hydraulic engaged PTO ?

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would add that checking lube pressure with the pump in and out of stroke is important when diagnosing. Top marks on
what you have done so far.

Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No hi/ low on the tractor, does have pto, not sure if it is hydraulic.

Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, how would I go about checking that?? Sorry Im kind of a newbie at this.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PTO engages by pushing down a two stage foot clutch and then switching the position of the hand operated lever on the left side of the transmission case ?
Any difference if the three point hitch is all the way up or all the way down .

Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont have to push the clutch down to engage the PTO, just pull the lever back.

Lanefird
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No difference if 3-point is up or down.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any difference with the loader if the PTO is engaged ?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is past time look into the stroke control valve in the front pump as Tx Jim and Tech 7 have suggested .
There could be something in there taking the pump out of stroke . There is a little bitty screen in there that is worth taking a look at .
Speaking of which . When in there this would be the time to install the manual de-stroker . When turned in it stops the pump from operating and reduces the load on the starter .

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 loader hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there flow through the power steering column even when the steering wheel is not being turned ?
Is the oil cooler plugged with 54 years worth of oily mud ?
While the front end was all apart on my 1640 with rad and oil cooler in plain view . I was dismayed at how plugged and filthy the rad and oil cooler still were . Even through I had previously hosed them out with a hot water hose connected to the shops domestic water heater . A high pressure washer will ruin the cooling fins .
Cleaning with straight on unobstructed access was required to clean the cores and fins .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters