Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Help with 8N and starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfores86
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have searched the forums and it may be due to me not being able to read, but I have not encountered something similar to what I am experiencing.

In short, we can pull start this 8N and within 20-30 ft it is running, while the engine is still hot it will fire back up on its own. It runs smooth and sounds solid.

Things done so far:
Rebuilt Carb
changed wires and plugs
gap has been checked and rechecked

I've reviewed 75 8N tips and other documentation from this site, just looking for some guidance.

Thanks!

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
I would do a compression test to start with.

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A weak battery and a starter that is worn can cause that. The worn starter draws more current so the weak battery's voltage drops. Now there may not be sufficient voltage to fire the spark plugs.

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6 or 12 Volt? Front or side mount distributor?

If it has a 12 volt conversion, check for too much resistance in the coil input circuit.

jimtrs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-dfores86 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:36:20 05/06/21) ..... we can pull start this 8N and within 20-30 ft it is running, while the engine is still hot it will fire back up on its own

I'm guessing that your tractor doesn't start conventionally when cold.
If that's the case, A worn out engine (low compression), or compromised ignition system are two common reasons for no start unless pulled. Engines turn over nice and fast when pulled. Loosening up, building compression and continuous turning over are some of the reasons they start this way. Some or all of those reasons can overcome why they don't start on their own. These are also some of the reasons why tractors start easier on 12 volts.

Royse and RM are telling ways to check some of this.

If it's low compression, the next step is to determine why it's low.

dfores86
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is all great stuff, thank you very much!

It was converted to 12 volt, what is too much resistance in the coil input circuit? This is a front mount distributor.

I am in the process of acquiring a compression test kit with a 90 degree elbow.

Thank you guys!

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this tractor new to you? You mentioned new plugs and wires but what about the points and condenser? Have you checked the timing? Does it have a ballast resistor or a ( 12v no external resistor needed) coil? Coil resistance should be around 1 1/2 ohms with a resistor and 3 without. Valve lash? Vacuum loss? (Spray brake cleaner around carb and manifold and listen for speed change). Breather clean?

My first thoughts were a very tired engine but you have other issues. Even a tired engine would fire up within five feet when pulled.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

K. Larues' diagrams are good but I find JMOR's easier to read.
He has many, so if this isn't the one you need, Google them.

I understand and appreciate the sentimental value.
The fact that it was set up makes me want to double down on the compression check.

dfores86
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is great thank you! I am ordering a compression tester now, I am hoping to find a 90 degree elbow for it so I do not have to take the hood off.

dfores86
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, I just realized there was a 8n forum, sorry about posting in the wrong place.

I am waiting for a compression kit to arrive, I did skip over and confirm the wiring diagram, I did not get to test the resistor as my grandfather needed help.

So while there I checking the wiring, I grabbed a test light to verify power to the coil/dist and the damn thing fired up. Keep in mind, the last time it ran was when I initially posted, and the fuel is turned off. I guess I should let it run until it is empty.

dfores86
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

all cylinders have around 100psi, what next?

dfores86
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 8N and starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ordered a new fuel line, bowl and carb elbow strainer. The current fuel line dips above the fuel bowl, and at some point was fixed with a rubber bridge just before the carb elbow.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters