Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

PTO test

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDpowershift
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone done a PTO test, (to see if the pto is slipping), with a M&W Dyno ?
I've got a P2000
I was told, (after the tractor and dyno is warmed up), to turn the load wheel half way in and run the tractor at idle and engage the pto. If the pto clutch is going to slip, it will show up and be more obvious under these circumstances.
I've dynoed a good number of tractors since I've owned it, but never checked a pto this way......anyone ever regularly do this ?

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never done it that way, I guess it would depend on what method is used to engage to pto, hydraulic or mechanical.

Ive found it pretty obvious if the pto will slip when enough load is applied.

JDpowershift
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pete Holtgrew in Iowa, who owns M&W now , told me to do this .
Said a bad clutch will show up and be more obvious at idle, or that if a clutch is going bad, it is more app to slip oe show up at
idle speed first.
I've had two tractors on my dyno that had pto clutches that were slipping while testing at pto speed.

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are possibly talking about doing this with a hydraulically operated PTO (a "JDpowershift" as an example) I don't see where it would be a fair test, as the clutch operating pressure likely isn't up to full pressure at idle, for mechanically-engaged PTO clutches it would seem to make sense, IMHO.

JDpowershift
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not up to full pressure. being at idle. (engine), was my thought also, but I still wanted to know if anyone does it.

And not to change the subject, but while I'm asking about an M & W P2000 dyno, if I recall, someone on here mentioned having a
nomograph for a P2000 to figure HP output at other pto speeds, (and pressures), that's more accurate, if that's possible, than the
dial that came from M & W. Wondering if there's any such graph out there ?

535353m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

using the dyno to see changes makes sense and optimize power, actual numbers are of little use,pressure point mechanical issues need to be consistent and in good repair or all is in vain.

JDpowershift
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: PTO test Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm considering selling my P2000 in the near future anyway, so maybe this inquiry was not necessary, but thanks for the opinions !

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters