Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hydraulic help needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bs triple n
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need some help with this cylinder. Is it a one way action or two? The line was plumbed and connected when I got it. That hose goes from top of cylinder and is plumber back to the bottom at what I would call the feed location. Looks to me like the top is a reservoir for fluid and not action the way it is hooked up. I see another feed location on the bottom on the other side of the cylinder. I dont see a feed location for a top feed unless I plumb through the little plugs which have a spring and metal ball behind them. I see the top block has a bypass port which goes up to the location where the top line is plugged into that block.
Am I way off that the top is not for action just fluid reservoir or do I need to pull that hose from top to bottom and plumb hoses for two way in those locations? Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Bs triple n
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Not always, but in most cases new users have to have 5 or more posts on record before the site lets them post pictures, due to site spam filters. Another option is to go down to the Site Comments Forum and ask YT Support for permission to post prior to that. You can try going down to the Test Forum and making several posts there to get your post count up, trying to attach your pictures to each post. That may work after you make several posts. Then make your post here again. It may not work immediately after you get past the 5 posts, if not, you might try logging out and back in at that point. There is a size limit as well, I think it is a total of 7mb per post (be it one picture or the total of several). Some pictures (often taken with phones), are too large and have to be reduced before they will post.

Some more description of this could help get your post count up. You might tell us what the cylinder is on and what it does where it is located.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hard to say for sure without seeing it, so this is just generic information...

A typical single acting hydraulic cylinder will have a very large diameter rod in relation to the
barrel. So there is very little displacement of oil as the cylinder is extended. It is not capable
of retracting by applying pressure to the top port, it is only a vent back to tank, if equipped with
a top port.

Sounds like you may have a cylinder from a forklift mast, strictly gravity return, and the check
balls are to slow the descent in case of a hose rupture.

Bs triple n
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully pics will help

Bs triple n
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Couple more pics. This is going on my rock gravel dirt dump trailer. It has a scissor type lift for the box on the end. I could take that off and just fabricate a cylinder to box connection like the old one was instead of try to get the scissor mounted. This is for on farm only it wont ever go down the road.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Double acting cylinder.

Probably some type cushion at each end to prevent slamming.

Determined
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic help needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many hoists have a power down function to act as a holding feature to lock the bed down.

Is it possible that whoever removed it just screwed one hose on to the other fitting to keep the dirt out?

The blocks on the side of the cylinder that you said have a ball and spring in them may be a cushion/safety that requires x amount of pressure to overcome so the hoist raises and lowers smoothly.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters