Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How to adjust cultivator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last time I cultivated was 1966.
This is how I remember a cultivator worked.
I would go flying and if I blinked I wiped out about 25 ft of 4 rows.
Speed and how much dirt went into the row were variables along with how the you adjusted shields and shovels.
geo.
organic weed control

big tee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best way to adjust a row-crop cultivator is with a cutting torch!---Tee

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are there any farmer that still uses a cultivator?

Timmycornpicker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Besides Amish? Yes. I have one that once every few years comes out to take out some escapes. There's a vegetable grower near me who grows some stuff in plastic covered raised beds but cultivates some stuff like sweet corn and beans in rows.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cultivate my garden,sweet corn,etc,have yet to find a weed or any plant that was steel resistant.I use disk hillers a lot, can get very precise with them.
Plus if I sell produce I get a premium.

Johnny Farmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always called a cultivator a rubber tired cutworm.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Morning glory and Canadian thistle love it when you cultivate it its just giving it 60 units of nitrogen to the original plant and then spreads it all across the field

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many people tell me,,they cant have a garden,,too many weeds in their soil,,,

It can be done,,,hoe or cultivate before it needs it,,and keep it up,,dont say Ill get it next week

Weeds wait for no one,,,lol/vphoto87643.jpg>

Some pictures from different plots I have done over the years,,,no spray,,just kept at it with tilling and hoe

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess you could say I was sort of a Traditional Farmer?/lol

MARK ROBKE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tobacco growers cultivate(or plow, as it is better known). Mark.

Jim in NC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes cultivators, hoes, and sweating work for us.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thistle are a result of too much P compared to K,the more out of balance your soil the worse your weed problem.Never seen a thistle in a corn field or garden in my life.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been planting basically in a trench and fill the soil in around the plants as they grow and cover up the weeds between the plants.Leaves very little hand work,also letting the ground warm up before planting so the vegetables take off growing fast makes it easier to control weeds.We raised a good amount of corn when I was growing up and always cultivated.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If like to farm where there are no weeds and Just a wave a magic wand makes them disappear

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust cultivator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cultivate till it gets to big to cultivate. I mulch all but the corn and peas.
Farmall 100 & a 140 that's all they do is lay off rows and cultivate...
The 140 had a set of rolling cultivators on it I will try to post a pix when I use it next it does a bang up job...

I never take the hillers off the 100 I row with it sometimes cultivate with it and use them to throw the dirt to the corn.

BTW whuts a rock : )

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters