Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put the knob on what I like as about the 10 oclock position when wheels set straight.
Strangely it does not come back to rest there after making numerous turns. Its all over the place!
I suppose it has something to do with the steering being controlled by an hydraulic cylinder rather than a gear.
Kind of odd, although cars and trucks not that way. Tolerable but annoying.
Any explanation?

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Normal! No mechanical link between steering wheel and front wheels, like in a car/truck.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats kinda what I thought. Thx for reply.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old man I used to work for wanted me to reclock his spinner,when I turned the wheel 180 deg with the motor off and the wheels never moved, he said never mind! Laughing

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Orbital steering is like a broken clock, it's right twice a day.

Greenfrog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting remark..I like that. (Some would never get it)

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spinner knob mystery on the JD x590 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere always struggled with steering systems. The steering on our 4010 steered easy enough, but depending what you were doing, disking, plowing, cultivating determined how fast you went and the steering wheel turned to the LEFT at a somewhat constant rate by time, so in 1/4 mile rows cultivating in 4th gear the steering spinner was 180 degrees from where it was by the time you got across the field. Disking or plowing in 5th it was only about 145 degrees. It was ALWAYS SOMETHING screwed up with that damned tractor that cost $1000 or more to fix. The hyd brakes didn't work right either, Ka-CHING, another $1000

We kept two RED tractors and sold the two Deere's at Dad's first auction.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters