Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall engine identification help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeWhitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I just bought a farmall super A that was mostly rebuilt from what I was told but the engine is not the original from what I can tell. It is stamped C 123 and has the numbers 366204 R3. Can anyone tell me more about this engine and weather I need a water pump or not? Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have a Super C block, so it should a water pump, does it have a dipstick also ?The ones with a dipstick was a stationary engine, they used them for shallow well irrigation, carnival rides etc !!!

leroy in ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By memory there should be a machined pad on right side of block about 1 inch below head and 3 or 4 inches from front with model and serial numbers stamped in. If a
replacement block there is a good chance of no stamping. Some one with more knowledge respond please. Leroy

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a later part number than would have been originally installed in a Super A. But it is a correct later replacement for a Super A block. This wasn't the original number for a Super C either. But it is a correct later replacement for a Super C block too. Except for the last few built with larger bore sleeves and pistons, the Super A didn't come from the factory with a water pump. Although a water pump can be back fit to an earlier Super A, it was rarely done, even when increased bore sleeves were installed during an overhaul. It is unlikely that you need to do it either.

The engine number is stamped about where Leroy said. Look directly below the #1 spark plug and very close to the top edge of the block. Something stamped there will probably tell you whether a new replacement block was used or if it was a used engine what model tractor it came from.

JoeWhitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it does have a dipstick for oil

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JoeWhitt wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:13:52 05/08/21) it does have a dipstick for oil

As a later replacement part, it needed that for compatibility with the later tractors.

JoeWhitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-leroy in ne wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:40:21 05/08/21) By memory there should be a machined pad on right side of block about 1 inch below head and 3 or 4 inches from front with model and serial numbers stamped in. If a
replacement block there is a good chance of no stamping. Some one with more knowledge respond please. Leroy
the letters i found was FFA 204312 and daet stamp is 1-7-F. I've been doing some research and have found nothing.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the number FFA 204312 or FAA 204312?

From what I can find, I think FAA 204312 was built in June 1947, if that is the tractor serial number.

SadFarmall

JoeWhitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks like FFA to me but yall take a look maybe Im reading it wrong.

JoeWhitt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall engine identification help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JoeWhitt wrote:
the letters i found was FFA 204312 and daet stamp is 1-7-F. I've been doing some research and have found nothing.

The only way I see that engine number make sense with that part number and date code is if it was a replacement block that got stamped when it was used in the field.

The date code translates to January 7, 1960, which is reasonable for that part number. The 204312 engine number matches a 1947 Farmall A, not a Super A. I don't know why anyone would stamp that number unless it was the engine or serial number of the tractor it was going into. The original post said Super A. Can you verify that? What is the tractor serial number? I believe the original engine number at that time would have been prefixed "FAAM". If the replacement block was stamped in the field, they may have stamped "FFA" rather than "FAA" by mistake.

One more thing, it probably wouldn't have made financial sense to put a new block in a Farmall A in 1960 or beyond, it barely did for a Super A. At that time, the bare block was about $200. Add another $60 or so for a S&P set. There would be a bunch more needed to finish putting it together. Meanwhile, you could buy a nice, complete tractor for about $400. But it appears that is what happened here.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters