Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hay equipment for starting small acreage

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenacres
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at haying about 20 acres. Was set on getting an NH 273 or similar, but a family friend offered this JD rake and baler to us for $400 each or $700 together.

They have been sitting in the barn unused for 10+ yrs. He said last time he used it, it baled pretty well but misses a knot every 20 bales and you have to pull the bale out to get it going again. He doesn't think the rake had any issues. He said he used to bale 1000 bales a year with them.

He was pretty sure the baler is a 24T, I was talking to him on the phone while his wife showed them to us. I couldn't find the model number on it, but I am not sure I looked very well at the back which is where it appears to be on these. I could not read the serial/model number on the rake, found them but they are illegible now.

Should I get these? Otherwise I also looked at a 273 NH that appears to be in working order, and baled with last year with minimal rust. Dealer is asking $2500.

We have a NH 50 HP.

Goldenacres
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For some reason I can't post images says I am a spam bot when I try and post them...

Tony in SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My random thoughts: I know nothing of JD balers or rakes (except a dump rake). I used our NH a lot before buying a CaseIH in-line baler. The NH performed well. All balers will miss knots from time to time but
every 20 bales seems excessive to me. Depending on your yield and bale size, you could fix between10 to 30 bales in 20 acres with the JD. Who knows about the NH? Knoters can be the most frustrating thing to
fix on a baler. Im not sure what your purpose is but Im assuming that 20 acres is a hobby. So if you had to mess around fixing balers & knots, its not the end of the world. But if 20 acres is a starter plot and you
plan to get bigger, I would get the more dependable of the 2. You should also consider parts availability in your area. $400 seems to be a bargain price for a JD 24T. If you dont like it you are only out $400.

DavidP,South Wales
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, Id largely agree with Tony. One in twenty is far too high a failure rate.........and that is only what you have been told. We didnt have a 273 model in the UK but we actually had a 274 which Im guessing may be very similar. With sisal cord it was very reliable for the small amount of work it did. Not the fastest of balers but you could at least keep going with a good degree of certainty that you would finish the field. The time will come when you are struggling to bale a field when the weather is threatening and you have to stop every 20 bales or so to drag a bale out. In fairness to the JD could you get it out and give it a run before committing yourself financially?
DavidP, South Wales

Hay hay hay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 20 acres will produce 1000 bales + or -. Those old balers have baled millions of bales...but slowly. The NH273 could have knotter
problems too, or suddenly develop them. Most of us that do hay are used to a steady stream of minor repairs and adjustments to our
equipment. $700 seems like a fast and easy way to try it to see if you really want to be in the hay business. Around here you could always
get your money back at those prices. Any half usable bar rake will bring $700.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy them both at that price. Even if you had to put
4-500 bucks into the baler having a dealer
mechanic sort out the balers knotters, you still have
a good working rake and baler then for maybe
$1,200. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. You say
20 acres, and you probably wont cut it all in one
cutting. So 5 acres to bale in four different baling
sessions, who cares if it isnt as fast as a modern
baler? It wont cost like one either.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$400 is very cheap for a small sq baler or side delivery rake. JD 24T tying problems should be not too difficult to repair. i see no reason hay requires removal from bale chamber everytime a knot is not tied. Removing hay from chamber when knot is not tyed is unnecessary labor[/code]

jaoneill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree; no need whatsoever to pull hay out. As has been said before, I would jump on the $700 deal; either machine alone would sell for more than that around here and still be a bargain.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

one every twenty means that it works but needs most likely a little adjustment. I had a JD 336 and the potential problems are VERY predictable. All the same take a couple bales and get it powered up and make sure that it will still tie before buying it.

Briar Hill Brittanys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMHO, that's a pretty good deal on the JD rake/baler. Not sure what model rake you're looking at. I bought a 24T that would bale 15-20 then miss a tie. Changed out the drive chains, timed it, adjusted here and there. It's a reliable baler now. The best advice I could give, buy a manual for whatever baler you get.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are new to YT you may be considered a spam
bot until you have made X number of posts.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy it , get something to mow with , to start and wagon s two that way you put up two to three hundred bales a night after work .elevator to put in mow.
Your in business!

NFD17
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chances are if it sat for ten years or better it need a good clean up,
lubrication, tighten chains etc. the new Holland baler at the dealership
could be in any kind of shape as I seriously doubt any dealer put any
time or manpower into checking out a 40 plus year old baler. I would
buy the JD package and check it all out stem to stern. If it has good
knotters and needles you could get your money back in parts.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im a new holland guy, but that is a good deal on the JD equipment.

I could not tolerate a baler that puked every 20th bale, but probsbly doesnt need to much to make it work right. If you cant make it better, it still is worth $400 as is so
you wont lose.

Any old rake will do, mostly, $300 is also a good deal there.

Id buy those, and Id consider trading up on balers sooner than later. Might not have to, but Id keep it in mind.

Paul

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hay equipment for starting small acreage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive hear 5, maybe 10 posts, and then the pic option works for you.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters