Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Straightening sheet metal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Straightening sheet metal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This Oliver 1550 had a hard life before I got it. The hood has several dings in it and the rear section looks like waves on the water. The side panels have creases in them and the rear fenders barely have a flat spot on them. How can you straighten them? I laid the hood and side panels on the welding table and hammered on them but it didnt take much out of them. I dont need them perfect and dont want to spend the money to replace them, can they be straightened??

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Straightening sheet metal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes it helps to put some soft wood under the metal. The dent kind of needs to be hammered the opposite direction slightly for it to stay. Still it's one of those things that takes a lot of patience to do.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Straightening sheet metal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably wouldn't hurt to buy a cheap set of body hammers and dollies (HF) and watch a few youtubes. A lot of guys there demonstrating sheet metal work and reproductions. I see yours has a muffler hole just like mine.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Straightening sheet metal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Getting it closer than that is not really a DIY job. You will need to fill it. Watch some Eastwoods videos.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Straightening sheet metal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Straightening that stuff will be a good learning experience but not the kind of job you start in the morning and are done by five in the afternoon. I bet I got 40 hours in my Super M grille and forty more in the hood. Some gorilla yanked the sides up on the hood and creased it bad in three or four places. The grille seam was caved in and split the spot welds from the center around the right side plus a couple bars broken and some bent and a hole poked in the right top.

I like to try for perfect but have to settle for what I get.

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Straightening sheet metal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good old body man can work it but it's rare to see anyone even try it now a day's. Using the steel table to hammer against is futile. The metal has to move past flat as it will spring back a little. Use dolly's and a sandbag to hammer against. Use heat and ice for the spots that won't hammer out a small spot at a time. A heat gun is hot enough and ice will contract the metal. It will be a slow go.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters