Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Early H PTO seal replacement question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am replacing the seals on my '41 H. My H has the older style PTO rear bearing housing, with a greased outer bearing, and the oil seal installed in the inside of the engagement lever housing.

Following the advice here in the archives, I parked the tractor on a hill, nose down, and removed the PTO engagement housing bolts, & pulled the housing to access the seals. No problem there.

However, watching a video by Kenny Kizzle, points out that there is a thrust washer that goes on the front end of the PTO shaft. (Video link, 23:30).

My question: In doing what I did, did I just drop this thrust washer into the transmission sump?

I have a shop manual but it is very vague on this PTO design and seems to focus on the later style only. It shows no thrust washer.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Kenny Kizzle PTO rebuild

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you need to get some info from slater or pete 23 or someone on here. that video guy i would not listen to him. i have seen some stuff he does and its hard to watch. i have seen him make so many mistakes on that farmall M. plus this video i took a quick look and as soon as i saw him hammering on the centre of a brg. to install it i just turned that video off. you need info from a real mechanic, not these wanna B's

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:21:42 05/11/21) you need to get some info from slater or pete 23 or someone on here.
I think he does post here, as Ken Christopherson. I could be mistaken.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to go fishing in gear oil for a washer.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took a quick look at the parts diagram on the CaseIH website, and it shows two different "old" style PTOs, one that appears to have a washer, and one that does not. You have to go by the pictures because the website only lists the parts you can get from CaseIH in the callout. Any NLA parts are not listed so you don't try to order them, or insist to the parts guy that he HAS to be able to get them, he just HAS to...

Serial 501-45613 looks to use a thrust washer (Part 17 in the diagram)

Serial 45614-117999 do not appear to need that thrust washer.

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have this diagram only. Labelled "series 9." Looks similar to my H mechanism, except my Zerk at at the bottom. It shows the washer (No. 29).

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Barnyard: Got it. I was looking in the "CHASSIS" section, and it only showed the blank flange. I didn't think to look in the "19-Attachments" and "226-Attachments-Power Take-off, Special."

Looks like I get to go fishing. Hopefully it's back between the bull gears so I can reach it from the PTO opening.

Thanks for the response. Dave

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Barnyard:

Looking at it again, it looks like THIS is the thrust washer (indicated by pencil in picture)? If so, then I've already got it! It is a tight fit on the end of the PTO output shaft, so it didn't drop off. Thanks, Dave

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes if one washer is on there that's it. Later model PTO will bolt on to that tractor without changing the counter shaft if wanted or have trouble finding parts.

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Early H PTO seal replacement question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I am not sure either CaseIH parts diagram is 100% correct--mine has the O-ring, not the gasket as shown in my IH486 diagram.

The washer is on there tight, and almost seemed like it was a machined part of the shaft. Ken's washer just dropped in place in the video. But the splines would have been hard to cut on the original shaft if it is not a separate part. Glad to read I don't have to fish for it.

Thanks again, Dave

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters