Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw which I bought in about 1972. I used it quite a bit for a few years when I remodeled houses and could leave it in one place for a long time. When I started remodeling contracting a few years later, it was too difficult to transport it from one job to the next when many jobs were smaller than complete remodels, or didn't involve much of the kind of work where that tool was not more trouble than it was worth. It hasn't been used a lot in the last forty years. Now I have a few major projects where it might be worth taking the time to set it up and get the use of some of its good features.

So, I was cleaning it up yesterday and decided to finally put a new metal shroud I've had for it for thirty or more years on the traverse arm. To get the old one off and put the new one on I removed the plate assembly from the end of the traverse arm, and pulled out the rod that links the mechanism for clamping the arm in place at angles that don't have stops (45 left or right, or 90 right). The traverse mechanism works by pulling back the spring-loaded handle at the end of the arm, loosening the knob, moving the arm to the desired angle, and tightening the knob to hold it in place. When I put it back together it must not have been correctly connected to the mechanism inside the traverse arm at the column end. The arm wouldn't stop when it got to any of the stops, and the knob would turn endlessly without securing the arm in place.

Does anybody have experience with this issue to explain to me how to get the rod connected correctly at the column end of a shaft inside the traverse arm which is more than 24 long? Even using a flashlight, it isn't easy to see the mechanism at the end I have to connect (also known as the far end).

Thanks,
Stan

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been a long time since I worked on mine so cut me some slack my memory isn't the best any more. there is a plunger in the column housing that has an angle on the inner end that fits into angled slots in the column at 90 and 45 deg etc. That long rod has something like a thick washer on the end that fits into a slot in the plunger, when you pull back on the handle it pulls the plunger back and out of the slot so you can move from slot to slot when it gets to the next slot it snaps back in holding the arm ridged at that location. I assume the washer like end on the long rod is not in the slot on the plunger correctly there is a spring on the long rod that puts pressure on the plunger that may be broken or missing you should feel spring pressure on the release handle when you pull back on it. When you dig into it deeper you should be able to see why the knob doesn't lock it up like it should. Sears parts direct had all the parts in stock and a good diagram to go by but that was 15 or more years ago. good luck.

Steve in VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't validate these w/o knowing your model, but there are a number of manuals online as pdf files that show the parts breakdown and some assembly instructions.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the sears/craftsman website for an owners manual or parts diagram. Also check the serial number tag if the manufacturer is on the tag. I had a 1970's Dewalt radial saw that was also sold under the Craftsman nameplate.

greenmech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a book for mine I bought about the same time. I got a parts diagram in my book if that would help. Ron MN

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ron, I have the owner's manual that came with the saw. It has exploded parts diagrams, but they don't tell me the exact order of assembly and exactly how the pieces need to fit together. I'm sure it isn't very complicated, and if it was lying out in front of me I wouldn't have any trouble with it. Instead, the parts I have to put together correctly are at the end of a 4 diameter tunnel 24 long. It's hard to even get a good look at them because my eyes and a flashlight have to be in about the same place to see that end at all.

If your book has a step by step description of that assembly procedure, or even just a good picture or drawing of the connected parts, that might be the information I need. The saw is Model 113.23100. The operator's end of the traverse arm has a large knob (maybe 2 in diameter) which screws in horizontally at the very end, and a spring loaded lever in front of it (toward the saw) with the handle sticking up above the knob. There are other saw configurations from that same time period, and I would normally think that the interior mechanism at the column end would stay the same, but the absence of the spring loaded handle on newer model Craftsman saws makes me worry that the assembly inside would have to be different if the function of that part was deleted.

If this makes sense to you, and you get a chance to look in your book to see if it seems like it might have the information I need, get back in touch with me here and maybe we can work something out that doesn't put the burden on you.

Thanks. I appreciate your response. Stan

greenmech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a newer model than you and sounds like a different locking mech. my lever is on the top of the column. Hope you can get it fixed. Ron MN

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reassembling a Craftsman 10 radial arm saw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters