Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Why is it bouncing?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tree-Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What does it mean when the trailer starts bouncing at 35 mph?
Is that just a bad stretch of road? On the interstate
Or something about the trailer or placement?

I slow down to 25, it stops bouncing, then slowly speed up and it starts bouncing again.

[/u]

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a trailer tire out of round. Might want to jack it up and spin each one to see if it is,

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since new or just recently?

Any speed over 35?

New tires, old tires?

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nevermind, I see you rented it.

Not your problem to worry about now, lol.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it only on specific roads? Like older Interstate, or State routes? When I drove semi bunch of my co-
drivers & I figured out that 40 ft trailers were what put the Waves in most of the roads and around 60
mph those little trailers beat your brains out! Same piece of road with a 45 ft trailer stretched all
the way out would smooth out almost like you were standing still..
It shouldn't take much change in trailer hitch placement or moving trailer axles to smooth things out.
You might stop it by moving where the load is located too. Put a bit more weight on trailer tires and
less on truck tires.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hope you didnt have to drive 25 all the way home ?? My
trailer will bounce but I can speed up And itll go away

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back up the tractor 18 inches.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is hard to see that the trailer would bounce. Are you sure that it is not the rear of the truck/hitch of trailer?

Tree-Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tree-Farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:22:58 05/02/21) What does it mean when the trailer starts bouncing at 35 mph?
Is that just a bad stretch of road? On the interstate
Or something about the trailer or placement?

Thanks for all the responses. I stopped a couple of times, tightened the chains, tried it again, and finally it stopped and rode fine.

I drove slow, 55 to 60, but it still felt like it bounced a lot when it hit a bumpy spot or bridge that had a low spot. I even stopped and bought a couple of tie down straps and added those.

It did tow fine, got home with no problems.

It's nice that you can rent a F-350, that will let you tow with it and a heavy-duty trailer for this type of very occasional need.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually you would center the rear axle of the tractor over the trailer axles. In that picture you were a bit front-heavy on the trailer which probably contributed to your problem.

David from Kansas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brother and I went to pick up a JD D last fall with his bumper hitch tandem axle trailer which was only a few years old. Trailer was bouncing
like crazy until got to about 50-60 mph then wasn't too bad. Had to go more than a 100 miles. Thought it would be OK with the
tractor weight on it. Well it was a little better but still bouncing like he11 at slow speeds, almost unbearable. After I got home
and had the tractor unloaded, I jacked the tandem axle trailer up and spun the tires. Both tires on one side had a belt separation
which was what was causing the bouncing. The tires probably had 95% + tread. Brother had both tires replaced. No more bouncing.
No warrantee since the tires came on the new trailer when he bought it. Don't remember the brand of tires.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can drive a hiway in a car and think that its a great road....Then,you can take your loaded trailer out on the same road and it will bounce...It happens all the time to me
and my friends that load our tractors right..When I'm not pulling myself I ride to some pulls with my neighbor (pictured below) and we always see some bounce on certain
roads...

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its called slap your truck rides over a bump then a pause then the trailer pulls over it causing a back and forth slap , thats why semi driver seats slide back and forth to help not beat the driver to death

MSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't answer your question but here isn interesting video about loading a trailer and it's effects.
trailer loading effects

Pete in Holland MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor looks too far forward on the trailer, causing the truck/tractor to hobby-horse.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters