Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rotary Mower....

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zuhnc wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:11:19 05/12/21)When backing into grown-up areas, takes some juggling of brake, clutch and PTO lever. Generally back in, neutral, engage PTO to get slasher up to speed, and then first gear. Do it enough times, gets easier! zuhnc

Do it enough times and you reach the tipping point. Thank goodness those days are gone for me. Four wheel drive HST with independent PTO have made that madness a fading memory. My only regret is waiting this long....

TOH

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:50:31 05/12/21)
zuhnc wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:11:19 05/12/21)When backing into grown-up areas, takes some juggling of brake, clutch and PTO lever. Generally back in, neutral, engage PTO to get slasher up to speed, and then first gear. Do it enough times, gets easier! zuhnc

Do it enough times and you reach the tipping point. Thank goodness those days are gone for me. Four wheel drive HST with independent PTO have made that madness a fading memory. My only regret is waiting this long....

TOH

This^
I'm not quite as fancy as TOH, but my yanmar w 4x4 and partial powershift, although a little smaller than the N, certainly makes maneuvering the hog much easier. Plus 15 forward gears means there's no such thing as too tall of grass... the lowest gear does 0.1 mph wide open

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went orange several years ago and have never looked back.

I still keep my 52 8N with 1,100 hours as my quad and my 64, 4000 SOS with all of the bells and whistles (and then some) that I have so much money in that I could not consider trying to sell so I rationalize
it as a hobby.

The N series Fords were revolutionary when introduced and are still useful for some tasks and some folks, but modern diesel FWA HST compact tractors are much more convenient and easy on the operator.

Dean

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:17:15 05/14/21) I went orange several years ago and have never looked back.

I still keep my 52 8N with 1,100 hours as my quad and my 64, 4000 SOS with all of the bells and whistles (and then some) that I have so much money in that I could not consider trying to sell so I rationalize
it as a hobby.

The N series Fords were revolutionary when introduced and are still useful for some tasks and some folks, but modern diesel FWA HST compact tractors are much more convenient and easy on the operator.

Dean

The range lever on my new HST is located just to the outside of the operators left leg. As I just found out you can knock it into neutral when twisting and turning to look over your left shoulder - better be ready to hit the brakes when using the HST to inch down a slope. The learning experience came on a steep slope with big time trouble inches behind me and had some real pucker power to it Rolling Eyes

TOH

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A FORD N-SERIES will pull a 5 or 6 mower and back blade just fine. The technical term for a BRUSH HOG is a Rotary Cutter. The term Bush Hog is a brand name but everyone calls it that now. I pull a WOODS 660 Finish Mower on my 8N. I also use a 5 back blade and best to use stabilizer bars with all of them. The bars must be set a certain way in order to prevent major damage to the 3-pt lift and/or hydraulic system.

ROTARY MOWER aka BUSH HOG:

8N FORD w/WOODS 660 FINISH MOWER:

FORD 8N w/REAR BLADE & STABILIZER BARS:

STABILIZER BAR KIT:

Tim Daley(MI)

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, the 8N came with the house we bought, and it is very sufficient for all my needs. Finally got the hydraulics adjusted properly, and will raise the 5' Bush Hog (tm) fully. 1800PSI gauge pressure. Ballast or weights would help at times, but not absolutely necessary. I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling a 6' rotary mower with the hills on my property, unless I had ballast or weights and some weight on the front. zuhnc

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters