Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't get the thing to spin. Jumping the starter at 6 volts wouldn't engage the pinion so I went with a 12 volt jump and all it does it spin it about a quarter of a turn. The motor is a
little tight and even with plugs out I can only spin it without a wrench near TDC but can pretty easily move it around with a 24 wrench on the crank. I know if I were to tow it around it
would loosen up fine but it isn't entirely together so that's not an option. How do I know if it's my starter being weak or the motor being too tight? I tried starter fluid in the plug holes
to see if I couldn't get it to fire just to help me out but with me moving the crank 1/8th a turn or so at a time on the crank that's just not quick enough to get the whole thing moving. (Hand
crank would probably work if I had all the parts for it) Any ideas?

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you had better find out why it is so tight before you destroy it.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you where rebuilding it did you use a good bit of lube on all moving parts?? If you didn't that could be the problem. Also did you check ring end gap to make sure the rings fit as they should if not that could be your problem.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had farmall c engine we rebuilt . Torque the rods down to spec and would not turn . Dad was puzzled . Thought about it , Then he checked the caps , they had been filed down to reduce clearance to crank instead of replacement of bearings , Ended up using shims to get clearance .
I always use plastigage to check clearance, always ,never forgot that ,
Be surprised what you find that was done to get by in these old engines.
I recommend plastigage always cant trust anything less you measure.
What you dont check you dont control .

Drew
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If a rod or main bearing cap got put on backwards that can put things in a bind.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Standard procedure is to check for freedom of rotation after main caps installation(except rear), after rods are put on, and after rear main is tightened down. If you did not, you need to go back.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! I think my question has always been how much freedom are we talking. Like effortlessly turning?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EVERY engine I ever rebuilt and I have done a good many where tight most so tight I could not turn them over by hand but the starter had no problem

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So could be a weak starter? I am honestly kind of shocked I can turn it with the hand crank but the starter just gives up.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A crank with a rubber rear seal, cam gear on, no rods should be very easy, not effortless though.

A rope rear seal will significantly tighten one up.

Rods, you should be able to move them side to side lengthwise on the crank with your fingers. Talking the distance between the thrust surfaces of the crank and the width of the rod.

What you are describing sounds like ring drag, as it gets easy when the pistons are all at TDC and BDC. Some tightness is normal, but not so much the starter can't easily overcome it. How sure are you the starter and battery are healthy and making good connection?

If you didn't check the ring end gaps, if it's tight now, it will seize when it warms up. Should be about .012 end gap.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:55:55 05/13/21) A crank with a rubber rear seal, cam gear on, no rods should be very easy, not effortless though.

A rope rear seal will significantly tighten one up.

Rods, you should be able to move them side to side lengthwise on the crank with your fingers. Talking the distance between the thrust surfaces of the crank and the width of the rod.

What you are describing sounds like ring drag, as it gets easy when the pistons are all at TDC and BDC. Some tightness is normal, but not so much the starter can't easily overcome it. How sure are you the starter and battery are healthy and making good connection?

Only way to double check is to pull the head to pull the pistons to check every ring?

If you didn't check the ring end gaps, if it's tight now, it will seize when it warms up. Should be about .012 end gap.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can turn it by hand but the starter will not good chance a bad starter of poor battery connections

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you are checking it in stages you get a feel for how much is added at each step. The biggest increments are when you add pistons and the rope seal. A rope seal will add a lot. I had one that was very stiff after I added the rear main cap with the rope seal, but the starter still turned it. One time I had one that was very stiff after putting the rod caps on. I checked it out and found that I had two backwards.

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the old days when grandpa rebuilt his 2n Ford himself. They would pull it to start the first time after a rebuild.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M - Starting Rebuilt Motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hand cranked it - sounds good though dont it!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters