Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello I have talked to several people in the last few years that have been putting hytran in tractor rear ends instead of 80/90 mainly because of cost .. any thoughts on this? I should replace my oil in my 1850 and was wondering if this is a good idea .. Thanks Bryan

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wonder if the thinner oil will give as good as lubrication as the thicker oil. I was always told that you needed thicker oil to cling to the gears longer as they were turning.

matthies
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heard some guys tried it in older farmalls, and couldn't stand the noise going down the road from the thin oil.

alberta dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is an excellent question. i am interested to hear what the forum thinks.
I have been told that gear oil has specific components that are necessary to protect the gears under load to prevent galling and blueing. Things like sulphur and zinc. The old tractors have may be primitive by todays multiple geared, multiple dollar machines but the quality of metal pre 1980 was outstanding and in my mind is about as good as it got before all this CVT and power shifting 36 speed transmission business got out of control. I think using a trans hydraulic fluid might be ok if the tractor is doing lighter and short duration use like feeding or small plot use. When you get digging deep and running all day long haying or cultivating I think the heavy gear oil would be a must.
For a bit of perspective I remember being told to put 15-40 into an 18 speed road ranger under my Pete with about 90,000 lbs of iron behind it. Seemed to work fine and its about the same visc as hydra trans.

kysull
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

White tried this one time on the 2-85 and 2-105 but after about a year they told all dealers too bring tractors in and change back too 80/90.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I talked with a fella on a tractor ride that had a super 77. He said the transmission was really loud, so he dumped in a gallon of Lucas Oil Treatment and it really quieted it down. I tried that on my 880 but didn't notice any difference. I have 2 1850's, 1550, 880, 550 and an 88 that all get 80w90 weight oil. The thing I don't like is the new 80w90 oil is thinner than the old thick like molasses oil.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only reason I'd use 80/90 wt in an Oliver rear was if I couldn't find 140W oil.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be concerned about brake seals and PTO seal.

NYOlivers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with that 100%! I would run 80/90 or 140. Everything when those tractors were designed was made to have a heavier oil for bearings, gears, seals and etc. I bought a 55 gallon drum of 80w-90 it ended up being cheaper then buying by 5gallon pails and changing 3 or 4 tractors its about gone. The more quantity you buy the cheaper it usually is.

alberta dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those old oil treatments like Lucas and STP were loaded with zinc and other goodies. I put some Lucas trans seal in my over/under recently and is has slowed down the leaks a bit. Still have to stop to re-engage direct however, that did not get fixed by the magic fluid.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd stay with 80W-90. Hytran is for hydraulic and power shift types and has friction modifiers for brakes and clutches, as well as being lighter weight.

LandonT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hytran instead of 80w in 1850 trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Super99, glad to hear your comments, I put fresh 80W-90 in the 880, and was surprised how thin it is. If anyone has a suggestion for something or brand that will quiet down the early straight cut gears and bearing whine, I'd like to hear it. May just go to 85W-140, is that the ticket?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters