Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Remove blades to shorten disk?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tree-Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any disadvantage to buying a bigger disk than I need, because it's cheaper, with the plan to remove the extra blades to make it less wide?

I found an International 490 disk that is 22 feet wide for $1,500. I've heard that the 480 and 490 are the best of the older disks, so that's what I've been looking for. I think the 490 is better, because it's heavier, I think this one has good blades.

I have a 986 and have been looking for a 16 foot or 18 foot disk.

I'm thinking, since this is a good price, that I should buy this tooooo wide disk and remove the extra blades to make it about 18 foot. To do this, I would have to take off each wing, looks like it's held on by 3 brackets. I think I can remove the end bolt, remove some blades and the spacers, then put the spacers back on.

Yes, that's a project, to take off all those blades, but I think I would have a better disk at a great price when I'm done. It might look kinda funny, missing those blades, but I don't care about that.

Can you think of anything bad about this idea?
Do you have any reason that I shouldn't do this?

Thank you!

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is that the actual disk? It looks like a 24 foot to me, and the front gang has been modified into a vertical till type of tool.

Ive heard of removing the wings and just using the main section for a disk.

If you mean still removing blades from the main as well, Id think about that some. Not sure Id be happy with that.

Paul

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 490 disk (I just went out with a flashlight) is a 24 foot model, and has 9 blades on a side on the main frame, and 8 blades on each wing. That looks to be what you have in the picture.

If I wanted a disk I would not want those funny blades on it. Likely why it is so cheap. And that is a good price for a 490!

So, if you dont mind the work, you could take the wings off and swap,out the wing blades for those goofy ones, and make yourself a nice disk. That is a lot of work tho.

Looking at mine, I guess I could see leaving one blade off per gang. Any more than that and the disk wont cover its own wheels, and you couldnt work near a fence and such. If you remove blades, you need to find some stout washers to put in their place, there is not much extra threads on those gang axles.

Paul

Timmycornpicker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think somebody tried to make a poor man's VT machine. They put the VT blades on the base and ran it with the wings in transport position for the extra weight on the blades.

Tree-Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

>front gang has been modified into a vertical till type of tool
Paul and Timmy,
Thanks for the response.
Is what you're saying, what you can see in the picture is:
1. They've changed the blades to the ripple/wave type
2. They've changed the angle of the gangs.
Is that what you're seeing? Instead of the gangs being at a 20 degree angle (or whatever it is)
They're running it at 0 degrees, just straight across the disk. The gangs run straight down the field, but hopefully, deeper.

Question: How hard is it to change the angle back? Does the 490 have bolts that you can remove or loosen and move the angle back to 20 degrees or whatever you want?

Thank you!

stevob671
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks like the rear gangs on the main frame are dished the wrong way.
Cheap is good but you might be looking at some work to get it all the way you may want it.

gbs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if i was in need of a disc, for 1500 dollars they wouldn't of had a chance to think about before i would have paid them and been gone with it, the
blades alone are worth that and the frame appears to be in good shape.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly what I thought. Wonder if it worked?

Mike

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't farm anymore,but help the neighbor, he's got some nice looking 620,press drills with the dual tires on the front caster wheels,wow what a poor design that is,for the most part it is built as heavy as a road grader,but its not nice to go against physics,with the dual wheel concept,when they pivot the two tires pivot at differant speed,and metal doesn't break or get loose al at once,they don't have a wheel bearing on each end, they have two center bearings, and a hub with a pin,with a zero tolerance thru the shaft and hub on the end! It's got 6 bolt wheels with 7/8 wrench size wheel nuts to hold the wheel on,but with the stress on each 180 degree turn they will get loose, you eventually loose the wheel,ruin the hub,then you cant remove the hub because the 3/8 pin,, is rusted in place, so you got to remove shaft press it out,in a press, i wouldn't doubt if that's pressed in their at the factory with out neversieze,during sub assembly, before shipment!! Good old mother Harvester saved the cost on cutting the shaft for tapered wheels bearing,but it did create extra revenue for the company, which they desperately needed in the eighty's! What a pity! How would you fix it?

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I meant to put this in a separate post !!!

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my clay soils bladed tools dont work reliably, it packs the clay more often than not. We all have a disk for those times you need one, but the new high speed disks and the vertical till stuff just doesnt catch on here.

My understanding is the vertical till tools do have a slight angle to them, 5 degrees or so?

Paul

BonaparteSouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its for sale ain't it

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drug a pair 620 drill over about 5 million acres at one time had them on a tandem hitch never had much problem with the caster wheels . I still have one 620 but the press wheels are wore out and the openers are wore out it will probably go to scrap .

Tree-Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought the 490 disk, thanks for all your comments. I like it, seems to be built much heavier than the 480. The blades are 20 inches and 19.5 inches, so they're fairly new.

I got it home, only had one tire go bad.

I noticed all this green stuff on it. What is it? Is it mold, eating away the paint? So I decided to do a mild power wash on it at the car wash and it washed right off.

Yes, the previous owner was attempting to do some version of Vertical Tillage, thanks for pointing that out, but there's only 2 things:
He put the wavy blades on and put the rear gangs on backwards.
But the good news is: The angle is still the same, it would be a major job to make the gangs straight across.
So all I have to do is: Replace the regular blades, he gave me most of them and switch the 2 rear gangs.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Remove blades to shorten disk? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lichen.

It is a combination of algae and fungus together.

Among other things, they love to consume and live on very old grease and oil stains, which is actually an organic compound if you think about it.

You will see them on old farm equipment stored in the grove where there is some shade, and the grease starts breaking down. These critters take over and eat up the
residue.

If you got the blades that were taken off, you got a real good deal from the looks of it. Lot of labor in front of you but we all need a hobby, that would be a $3-5000 disk
here when its set up like a real disk again.

Paul

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters