Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis rotobaler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenGubbels
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just purchased an allis chalmers roto baler on a sale, never used one before, but like their concept as an Allis loving cousin of mine has a few and he makes nice bales.My question is for a tractor would a Ford 5000 select o speed PowerPoint work to use a roto baler or not? My next choice would be an AC D17 diesel.

BonaparteSouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wd and up with hand clutch or power director equipped tractor works best. put her in neutral and let her tie!! to learn how to run I was taught by my older neighbor he made me follow along in the field to watch how it worked right and how it work WRONG !! first baler I ever ran. could bale a lot of bales a day. Raking right made it work ,better. two smaller windows side by side. THE GOOD OLD DAYS!! lol

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both are both way to many HP for it. That baler was made to be run with a B or C size tractor. I owned one for one summer and would NEVER own one again. I baled a few hundred bales and pulled it with a B and the B did just fine the problem was if the hay was not raked just right or had to long of the stems it would clog up big time

mschwartz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you get the white top one in Washington by chance? I think either will work but the D-17 will look like it was meant to pull it. Mike

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either tractor would work fine but I'd go with the D17 if I had a choice.Its good to know someone that understands how to run those balers that can help you get started.Once you learn to operate the baler its as simple as it gets and very trouble free.As said raking is the key to successfull baling and always make sure the brake is loose before baling any hay.My dad and I baled thousands of bales with a couple of those balers over the years.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything with live power. I remember a neighbor used one with a John Deere A. That was fun to watch. No live power, hand clutch, stop and take it out of gear every bale, push the clutch lever ahead to start the pto, stop it after it spit the bale out and put the tractor back in gear.

Dad had one for one season. Ran it with an Oliver 66 with live power. The first time the pickup stopped to put the twine on, he thought he broke something.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad baled with one hooked to an AC B quite an operation,on a hill he'd knock the B out of gear to tie the bale then hold the hand brakes and put the B in 1st gear with his knee while holding the clutch.When we bought the WD45 baling became a lot easier.They were a cheap baler to run,used binder twine and hardly ever needed any repairs.

BonaparteSouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

trouble with tractor with live or ipto is clucth pedal will take a toll on your left knee !! also hard on throwout bearings. I rest my case.

lfnel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brother & I put up 10,000 of those little round bales one summer, mid '50's, in central Nebraska with a JD Model MT, no live pto, on the baler. Those who say the guy doing the raking makes the bales sure knows what he's talking about!

ramblineagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, a Allis B or C is ok to run a roto baler on level ground in light hay or when baling straw. I have used one with a WD and in the hills the baler would push the WD when stopping going down hill. In heavy hay the baler made the govenor on the WD open up when a heavy slug went in the chamber.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis rotobaler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're right the AC hand clutch set up is made for the Roto Baler,I also like to use it on a big round baler.The AC 185 works great don't have to touch the gearshift or the foot clutch.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters