Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm working on the rear end of my 1937 F-20, and want to pull the belt pulley. My F-20 is a narrow tread, and there is only about 1-1/4" clearance from the pulley outer edge to the bull gear housing. That doesn't look like enough room to slide the pulley off it's shaft? Is there a clever way to remove this on a narrow? Maybe disassembly of the pulley shaft housing at either the inner or outer flange? That still doesn't look like it would give enough clearance.

Thanks, Evan

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

would be nice to see the complete tractor picture. i hate bits and pieces of pictures. just like when people advertize a tractor for sale
with bits and pieces. why cant they operate a camera and put the whole unit in one photo, instead of 6 or 8 pictures. as i tell them i can zoom
in on what i want to see. some tractors you had to remove the tire. but here it looks like a drop box in the way not bull the bull gear.
Untitled URL Link

EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:59:35 05/12/21) would be nice to see the complete tractor picture. i hate bits and pieces of pictures. just like when people advertize a tractor for sale
with bits and pieces. why cant they operate a camera and put the whole unit in one photo, instead of 6 or 8 pictures. as i tell them i can zoom
in on what i want to see. some tractors you had to remove the tire. but here it looks like a drop box in the way not bull the bull gear.
Untitled URL Link

Well, I thought I'd just show photos highlighting the problem, but here's a pix of the tractor as it is now. I've noticed the standard width F20's have a lot more room to move that pulley out. And, yeah, I know the rears are on backwards.

3LFarms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Even on the standard rear F-20, the pulley wont just come off the shaft. The whole assembly comes off the transmission.
I have a standard width F-20, but Ive heard on the narrows, you have to take the bull gear housing off the right side.
I wonder if a stud remover socket could pull the studs and let you get the assembly out? I dont know why they didnt just use bolts to hold them on.

EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3LFarms wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:49:26 05/12/21) Even on the standard rear F-20, the pulley wont just come off the shaft. The whole assembly comes off the transmission.
I have a standard width F-20, but Ive heard on the narrows, you have to take the bull gear housing off the right side.
I wonder if a stud remover socket could pull the studs and let you get the assembly out? I dont know why they didnt just use bolts to hold them on.

Yeah, 3L, it seems crazy that it isn't more easily removable. Not a bad idea to remove the studs, but even then there doesn't appear to be enough room to decouple the outer pulley shaft from the inner shaft without running into the housing. At least that's the way it looks in my manual. Thanks, Evan.

Oldiron29
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take nuts off and remove as a unit you will have just enough room.
once the unit is loose you will need a pan under it to catch the gear oil coming out, it is the lowest point on the tranny.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EL_Tractor wrote:
Yeah, 3L, it seems crazy that it isn't more easily removable.

The tractor was designed in the 1920's by guys with drafting boards and slide rules. It's not like they could just tweak a couple of numbers in a computer and change the location of the belt pulley.

If I'm not mistaken, the narrow tread version was an afterthought anyway.

I'm sure the folks at IH noticed right away the clearance problem with the belt pulley, but it was too late in the process to redesign everything. You'd be talking months to redesign the belt pulley with pencils and slide rules, delaying the release of the tractor and possibly letting Deere get the upper hand in the market. History would have played out very differently, but of course that history may have resulted in "Case Deere" or "John Case" in 1985 and IH being the sole standalone brand in the market...

DeltaSteve
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No,you dont need to remove the final drop box. when I installed the belt pulley on my F20 narrow,there was just enough wiggle room to let it slip on. I suspect
it will be the same comming off.

EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Oldiron29 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:58:09 05/13/21) Take nuts off and remove as a unit you will have just enough room.
once the unit is loose you will need a pan under it to catch the gear oil coming out, it is the lowest point on the tranny.

Thanks, Oldiron. I decided to take the rear end down further anyway. The "oil" inside looks like tar.

EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DeltaSteve, I'll experiment a bit with that, but decided to do more disassembly anyway. Evan

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:51:28 05/13/21)
EL_Tractor wrote:

The tractor was designed in the 1920's by guys with drafting boards and slide rules. It's not like they could just tweak a couple of numbers in a computer and change the location of the belt pulley.

As I recall, the narrow tread tractors used a different pulley (the pulley wheel itself). I suppose a pulley from the other F20s would have actually run into the drop housing.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim Becker wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:23:12 05/13/21)
EL_Tractor wrote:

As I recall, the narrow tread tractors used a different pulley (the pulley wheel itself). I suppose a pulley from the other F20s would have actually run into the drop housing.

So they did notice.

EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(quoted from post at 10:27:33 05/13/21)
Jim Becker wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:23:12 05/13/21)
EL_Tractor wrote:

So they did notice.

Jim, I'm going to try to take it off a couple of different ways that were suggested. If no luck, I decided last night that the back end is going to come apart anyway for refurb. Evan

EL_Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1937 F-20 Belt Pulley Removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaSteve wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:36:55 05/13/21) No,you dont need to remove the final drop box. when I installed the belt pulley on my F20 narrow,there was just enough wiggle room to let it slip on. I suspect
it will be the same comming off.

Follow up. Got around to removing the pulley. As DeltaSteve suspected, by unbolting the four studs mounting the pulley tube to the transmission housing there was just enough room to slip the tube off the studs and drop the assembly. Maybe 1/8" between the pulley outer edge and the drop box side. Thanks, Evan

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters