Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fat fingers and tiny tractors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thdrduck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there really a more frustrating job than installing valve spring keepers on a Farmall Cub with old fat fingers?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grease comes in handy when doing that. I had a couple of stuck valves on my cub not long ago and had to pull them to free them up so yep BTDT

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Putting keepers on an upside down valve
in a flathead engine.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Squeezing my hand, that doesn't bend well anymore, in between the headlight & hood on a 560 to screw the fastener in that never wants to line up with
the hole.

Mike

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:29:12 05/13/21) Putting keepers on an upside down valve
in a flathead engine.

In case you've forgotten that's EXACTLY what the O.P. is dealing with.

As a creative solution, that's not a very large machine and the engine (IF removed) or possibly the whole tractor could be inverted to make the job similar to working on an OHV engine. (IMHO!)

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't know.....that's my wife's
job!

Bob 7337
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

loosen head lite and turn it a little. problem solved!

thdrduck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had to stop for a bit, spring sprung and one of those little bast___s went flying. Looked for over an hour before I found it.
If it wasn't bad enough, add those damn hyd lines into the equation. Will be really happy when this job is done.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I placed a couple magnets close the where the valve I was work on at the time so if I dropped the keeper good chance the magnet would catch it. It worked I did drop one and it landed on the magnet

thdrduck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:53:00 05/15/21) I placed a couple magnets close the where the valve I was work on at the time so if I dropped the keeper good chance the magnet would catch it. It worked I did drop one and it landed on the magnet

Pro active, I like it. I used paper towels to plug the holes in the block and used a magnet to find the missing keeper. I have some strong magnets I could use to catch them should (and I'm sure it will) try to pull a hide and seek thing again. Thanks Old.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put put rags in the holes that the keepers could have fell in if the magnet had not caught them. Sure would be easy to work on if the engine was upside down. LOL

thdrduck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fat fingers and tiny tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:46:13 05/15/21) Put put rags in the holes that the keepers could have fell in if the magnet had not caught them. Sure would be easy to work on if the engine was upside down. LOL
Mine almost was I was do ------. Twisted Evil

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters