Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brett24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I pulled the plug on my Ford 800's differential, to drain the fluid, nothing came out. I had to poke through a layer of sludge in order to get fluid to start coming out.

I used a flexible brush to reach up into the housing, through the plug-hole, and got some additional sludge out that way. But I'm pretty sure that there is a lot left in there.

Is there a good method to clean out the sludge?

michford
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put the drain plug back in and pour in some diesel fuel and let it sit for a while. Drain and repeat until no more sludge comes out with the diesel fuel when draining. If you want to dig in deeper, remove the axle and trumpet from the left side of the tractor and then remove the differential. Clean out sludge and reassemble.

Brett24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks.
I chose the easier (and quicker) option.
After the last diesel rinse, I left the drain-plug out and am letting it drip all night to try to get as much of the diesel fuel out as possible.
Do I need to do anything else after that to try to get rid of diesel residue, or will it be ready to fill and run?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best way is the hard way.

Disassembly followed by manual cleaning with hands, solvent and rags.

Not easy but the results are great.

Dean

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is noocks and crannys that will never drain out. Just pouring diesel in will not loosen much of that sludge up.

History Buff (MN)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too had a lot of sludge in the rear axle housing on a 650 I worked on last year.

I pulled out the PTO shaft & a couple of cans of carburetor cleaner did a pretty good job of getting most of the gunk out.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mineral Sprits is an excellent solvent for grease, grime, dirt, caked on crud, thick hardened oil, etc. and it won't harm any internal parts. 99.98% of all your commercially available Snake-Oil products ( MMO, Stabil, Star-Tron, et el) sold as cleaners is the same stuff mainly. Check your MSDS labels. Mineral Sprits is also the same stuff as Paint Thinner and backyard charcoal lighter fluid. Anotehr superior cleaner is a 50/50 mixture of UTF and acetone.

Tim Daley(MI)

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would plan on changing the fluid in the transmission and hydraulic reservoir as well. They are for all intents and purposes the same reservoir. Or at least they are in my tractor, as fluid travels freely from one reservoir to the next.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-MarkB_MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:07:20 05/16/21) I would plan on changing the fluid in the transmission and hydraulic reservoir as well. They are for all intents and purposes the same reservoir. Or at least they are in my tractor, as fluid travels freely from one reservoir to the next.

What model tractor do you have? The 1953-1964 Ford 4 cylinder tractors all had a hydraulic sump that was separate from the transmission and separate from the rear axle. There were originally seals between the separate reservoirs and the fluids did not travel between them. When the seals wear the fluids do migrate somewhat, butt I wouldn't call that "travelling freely". If the fluids are traveling freely between them then the seals are way beyond simply leaking, they must be completely shot.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> What model tractor do you have? The 1953-1964 Ford 4 cylinder tractors all had a hydraulic sump that was separate from the transmission and separate from the rear axle. There were originally seals between the separate reservoirs and the fluids did not travel between them. When the seals wear the fluids do migrate somewhat, butt I wouldn't call that travelling freely. If the fluids are traveling freely between them then the seals are way beyond simply leaking, they must be completely shot.

I have a '64 4000. Yes, I agree that my seals are shot, and my assumption is that they'll be in similar condition in any other tractor that still has its original seals.

How do I know the fluid can easily travel between reservoirs on my tractor? When I changed the fluid in all three reservoirs last year, I left the hydraulic drain plug out as I was refilling the differential. Fluid started coming out of the hydraulic reservoir before I'd filled the diff. I'll also note that the fluid I drained from all three reservoirs looked the same, which is to say not very good.

Hiddenvalley627
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what does utf stand for?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: How can I remove Sludge from a Ford 800 Differential? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Universal Tractor Fluid,sometimes called Universal Tractor/Transmission/Hydraulic Fluid. It's a modern "one-size-fits-all" fluid that can be used in transmissions, hydraulic systems, rear axles, power steering, etc. It can basically be used for everything on the tractor except the engine oil. It is low viscosity so it can be used in hydraulics and power steering, but it has extreme pressure (EP) additives so it can cling to the mating surfaces of gears in a transmission or differential, plus it has friction modifying additives to prevent slipping of wet brakes and clutches.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters