Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Why is it bouncing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When my trailer is empty it has the same bouncing problem. My smallest tractor 3100# stops the bouncing.
Trailer bounced more than ever.

I discovered one 10 year old tire was coming apart. New tires helped a little.

I think the harmonic bouncing may be fixed with shock absorbers.

Weight on trailer solves my bouncing.

Try playing with air pressure. Reduce air pressure when not carrying max load. Monitor tire temperature with IR thermometer.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pete, I thought I was responding to author. Sorry.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Geo, your trailer axles are slightly misaligned. One axle is going one way, the other axle is going in a slightly different direction. They get far enough apart and POP, the trailer bounces.

With the weight of the tractor it forces the tires to scrub. Probably why one of them was bulging.

That's why you test tow new tandem axle trailers before handing over any money. If it bounces, take it back and get a different one.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:55:43 05/17/21) Geo, your trailer axles are slightly misaligned. One axle is going one way, the other axle is going in a slightly different direction. They get far enough apart and POP, the trailer bounces.

With the weight of the tractor it forces the tires to scrub. Probably why one of them was bulging.

That's why you test tow new tandem axle trailers before handing over any money. If it bounces, take it back and get a different one.

Barnyard, please tell how you made your measurements. The world needs to know!

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:00:32 05/17/21)
BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:55:43 05/17/21) Geo, your trailer axles are slightly misaligned. One axle is going one way, the other axle is going in a slightly different direction. They get far enough apart and POP, the trailer bounces.

I can tell you how I do it. Take a SMALL cable, make a loop around the hitch, on a goose neck, and stretch it back to the axle on both outer sides in the exact same spots. I learned that way from the truck garage where I worked. They aligned semi axles that way.

Barnyard, please tell how you made your measurements. The world needs to know!

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You may be right. I measured everything, It
checks out all good.
My 10k dump trailer works flawlessly at all
speeds.
I only have bouncing when empty around 35 mph. .
If I have to go a long distance empty, I reduce
air pressure and bouncing is also reduced.

jdknucklebuster
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it bouncing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm torn between comments made by Barnyard and Dr. Evil. I have multiple trailers and one of my tandem dual trailers
is also a hopper when empty. Kinda eliminates the load the tractor here or there comments. I was thinking about
Barnyard's theory of axle alinement and it really make sense. I like that idea. Dr Evil's comment of length of
trailer and axle spread or good too. I have a 35' Big Tex 12k with wide spread axles and that trailer pulls like a
dream. No hoppy or yanking. I know it has something to do with that distance between the truck wheels and trailer's
wheels in relationship to the bump in the road. Those two problems are completely different in my opinion.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters