Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

deck stain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Recently completed new deck, treated wood (Yellawood or equivalent) and it's dried out good. Going to sand and stain it. What stains would be good to use on this material. Also is there some kind of filler I could use on the few screw heads that are showing? We used an opaque stain last time and it didn't last two years before it peeled where it gets rain. I'm going to check with some paint stores but first consult the YT brain-trust.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always use Penofin. Never a problem with peeling.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always thought stain was made to soak in, stain the wood and be impossible to peel??

300jk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the early 2000s I put up a picket fence and a house I used to own. I used one of the Behr opaque stains at the time. What a mistake. Had the same peeling issues. Once the price of lumber goes down I have a deck and 2 sets of steps to build and will be using a transparent stain. The opaques seem to just peel like paint. The barn at the farm has board and batt siding and on that we use Wolmans F and P. More of a clear product. Not sure if it can be tinted or not. Seems to hold up well.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I told my daughter not to stain her deck after they stripped off old peeling stain and sanded it. Did she listen? No. Now I heard her tell a friend. WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T STAIN IT.

It took 5 gallons of redneck stain to coat this 20 ft trailer. Redneck stain, used 10w40 motor oil. One

would think this would make an oily slick surface. It didn't. Second coating only took 2 gallons.

If you want a darker stain, I would recommend used oil from a diesel engine. 15w40 or 15w50

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using Thompsons clear water seal for over 30 years on my deck. Should give it a coat every year or it will take twice as much in 2 years. I don't want anything that will peel or flake.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Yellawood cheats on treated wood. I think they just hose the wood down with that copper chemical instead of actually pressure treating it. I just had to replace a screen door I made four years ago for a customer which I used Yellawood. It was caulked and painted all sides including the top and bottom. It should have held up better than that with nothing on it

Your screw holes if the wood is reasonably dry you could use bondo. If not I would use Durham's water putty.

The finish you might use Ready Seal. It would be more like coating the wood with motor oil, nothing to peal off.

cityboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my cedar deck, I only use boiled linseed oil about every 3 years. It has grayed up over the 20 years but the wood is still very solid.

I also use Mold Armor E-Z House Wash on the deck before the linseed. Easy to use, minimal labor, lightens the gray w/o a power washer.

HTH,
Don T.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We used some highly rated stain made by Joseph Behr, we also got REALLY good at pressure washing, belt sanding, and re-staining the deck every summer because the same time the frost left the ground the moisture would lift the stain right off the deck.

I spent a LOT of time on the old Powerstroke.com website, now called The Dieselstop.com, and they had an All other topics section referred to as The BILGE, several guys there built decks, HUGE decks for a living. They ALL agreed CABOT AUSTRAILIAN TUNG OIL deck stain was absolutely the best stain to use. We typically get 6-8 years now between restaining.
Thompson Waterseal is best just dumped on the ground, don't waste you time putting it on your deck.
Keep in mind a lighter colored stain will be less noticable that it's fading and needs recoating, guess that's why the wife wanted a dark Chocolate Brown!

ALSO, driving heads of deck screws below the top surface of the deck boards.... STOP THAT!! AND DON'T TRY TO COBBLE SOME SORT OF PLUG TO COVER YOUR MYSTAKE, JUST IMAGINE HOW TERRIBLE THAT WILL LOOK!!
I also suggest you guys ALL throw your cordeless and corded drills in the trash. You drive deck screws with 1/4 hex impact drivers. They're right next to the cordless drill on the shelf of your hardware store. Use a TORX head screw and driver bit, the driver is IMPOSSIBLE to cam-out of the screw head like a phillips always does. So you can slowly set the screw head EXACTLY FLUSH to the top surface of the board.
Oh, and you should let your deck boards aclimate to where you are installing them. Buddy put some completely water-logged pressure treated 2x6's down on his new deck. They dried out and shrunk, 3/4 on a 16 ft 2x6. The deck screws on the ends pulled sideways THROUGH the boards. BIG mess removing the bad boards and replacing them.

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live in a log home and I only use sikkens pro lux

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a drywall screw gun with a clutch depth stop. It works well and i can go faster than looking at each screw with my Dewalt impact driver. Recseeing the screws also leaves a water and soil pocket. Sealing water out is usually sealing water in. Jim

Steve Metcalfe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with Mark. I use Penofin and can go a few years or so in between applications and it never peels.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 67 years of being a Home Handyman, I've drywalled TWICE, the inside of my 24x36 workshop, and the inside of SON'S 20X22 attached garage. We even used CORDED DRILLS on my shop! We'd upgraded to cordless by the time we did SON's garage.
I don't see me EVER needing a drywall screw gun. We have rustic wood paneling in our TV room the Wife say's has to go, it will be hired done.
And the impact driver with TORX BIT AND TORX screws is easily controlled, yes, you want your deck screws flush, and unless your an absolute IDIOT with power tools you should be absolutely capable of achieving that with the impact.
I used to spend WAY too much time on POWERSTROKE.COM, later known as The Dieselstop.com, and quite a few professional deck builders posted frequently in the ALL other topics forum, also known as The BILGE and every one of them switched to impacts in the mid to late 1990's when they first became available. I don't remember a single one posting he used a drywall screw gun. I'm not sure why anyone would use a phillips head screw and driver when a positive drive like a TORX was available.
I made a cantalever rack for steel and lumber for the big open wall of my shop. Because of the weight I used 1/2 x 3-1/2 hex head lag bolts to fasten the racks to the studs. I just used my 3/8 variable speed Dewalt drill, twisted the first one off in the blink of an eye! Drill didn't even struggle. I would have expected that with my 1/2 triple reduction Dewalt drill, think it's 800 rpm, and you really should use the auxillary 2nd handle or risk breaking your arm. If the bit catches you will NOT hold it.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: deck stain Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An Australian deck oil that can be stained to various shades called Quantum Gold made by Intergrain is worth looking at . Yes it will peel after 3/5 years but there is no sanding needed . When recoating after washing clean the new oil self amalgamated with the old creating a new smooth surface . Never sand or strip a deck again .
It was originally formulated for ski lodges so it's resistant to cold and heat .
I used it on my deck at the farm , it takes a long time to harden but ends up really resistant to wear .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters