Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Back to the VAC and it not running

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I plan to
#1 start the other VAC to make sure it does run
#2 if it runs trade carbs again and see if the one will run with the other carb and also switch the manifold out again.
If the one runs with both carbs I can pretty much rule out a carb problem and then go from there and try a few other things

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is what I have done today.
I started to VAC that I know will run. I then took the carb off the one that doesn't want to start and run and put it on the one that does run. It runs just fine on either carb so that rules the carb out.
I put the original manifold back on the one that doesn't run and the carb back on that works on the other VAC. I haven't tried to start it yet but will after I cool off a bit. It is in the 80s here and humid. If it doesn't start this time I am going to do something I haven't done in decades and that is swap the condenser out with a new one I have in my tool box and see if that works.

If all this doesn't work I don't know what else to try

Klyde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the terminals on the coil to distributor may be bad connection. low voltage not high Are you checking for spark at the plugs or the coil wire? check at the plugs Cap or rotor could be bad. just some thoughts

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I check spark at the coil wire and the plug wires. I've even had all 4 plug wires hooked to plugs laying on the valve cover and all get a good blue white spark. Cap and rotor are new

Bobl1958
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Old - just a thought, but I once had a DC4 that acted the same. Good spark and getting fuel. Tore every thing apart several times.

Finally remembered hearing about low compression. Put 30w oil in each cylinder and turned it over a few times to coat the cylinder walls good. Pulled it a little with the plugs out to clean the cylinders and then put the plugs back in. Tractor started right up.

Would have had trouble believing this if someone told me, but that is exactly how it happened. Possibly you have tried it already, but if not, worth trying. Bob

Keith-OR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like we are going to need to take up a collection to get Grandpa love's primary mechanic (Grandma Love) and biscuit maker, to come and get it running for you,!! LMAO

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Compression on 3 of the 4 cylinder is around 120psi which should be more then enough to run on

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:00:19 05/17/21) Compression on 3 of the 4 cylinder is around 120psi which should be more then enough to run on

Have we tried a new set of sparkplugs yet?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes new NGK plugs. It had Champs in it but I replaced them. New cap and rotor and new points. Has good spark at all 4 plugs

muleboss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the plugs out of the one that runs and try them in this one.
Plugs can be somewhat of a trick.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess that might be worth a try but if I do that I'll also be sure to start the good running one on the non running ones plugs just to make sure the plugs aren't the problem

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It seems like you covered all the bases. Seems like ignition timing is the only thing left. You said you put in different distributor. Do you think it might be 180 degrees off? I don't have any experience that way, but I have seen it mentioned in other posts.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've checked and double check that and even tried it 180 out and also all the way aroudn as in I have had the firing order moved all the way around and back the where I started

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very strange. Out of league

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the VAC and it not running Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes this one has been a bit odd as to why it doesn't run. But I also know nothing about it's history. Once it dries out I plan to take the plugs out of the VAC that runs good with either carb and try them in this VAC and put the plugs from the non running VAC into the one that runs and see if it runs on them

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters