Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MF 50 hydraulics not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: MF 50 hydraulics not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Background: A brother who lives on the other side of the state has an MF 50 with a 3 point bushhog. The 3 point worked fine the last time he used it in October. But this winter he started and attempted to move the tractor but found the transmission was locked up solid. I told him probably water in the tranny had frozen (the tractor sits outside) and to wait until the weather warms then drain/refille the transmission.

This he did - he drained out several gallons of water then some milky gear oil. He then refilled the transmission with fresh 85W-90 gear oil.

The tractor now shifts/drives fine. But the 3 point lift is totally inoperative.

I suspect either the hydraulic pump got damaged when he ran the tractor with the tranny frozen, or 85W-90 (which I gather is NOT the correct oil to use in the transmission) can't be picked up by the pump.

Any guidance here is appreciated! (I'm a Farmall/Oliver/MM guy - have no experience on MF equipment...)

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 50 hydraulics not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The PTO is usually driven from the REAR of the HYDRAULIC PUMP, if and when the PTO is engaged to operate.

Does the PTO shaft turn /rotate when engaged to operate?

If PTO is not operating when the PTO lever is engaged let us know.....

Bob...Owner MF ....

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 50 hydraulics not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good to know! Will pass on to my brother and advise what he finds.

Thanks!!

Steven-Id
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 50 hydraulics not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 85-90 at gear oil is too stiff. The manual called for a 85-90 at mineral oil. That is a lot thinner. I just run a universal trans- hydraulic fluid in mine. How ever I bought a 65 that the pump had frozen and broken the casting. He might try different oil but not fill it full. Leave the level just below the inspection cover where the dipstick is and look inside while it is running and see what is going on.

Steven

jvin248
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: MF 50 hydraulics not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure he replaces the shifter boots. That's where most of the water leaks happen. Rainwater lands on the shifter and follows it right down along the shifter rails locking them up. I just got done replacing bearings and gears in a 1955 TO-35 with a flooded and locked up transmission.

I'm still working on the engine end of the tractor now but the plan is to find a secondary boot (like half a truck ball joint boot) to mount on the shifter shaft just above the tractor boots that has a clamp spring to be a roof that sheds water away from getting into the transmission.

Tom from Buckeye Lake
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: MF 50 hydraulics not working Reply to specific post Reply with quote

(like half a truck ball joint boot)

I've new boots on my 150. When it sits outside I put a Dollar Store bucket over the shifters. Works for me Smile

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters