Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just ran across this old thread and answered many questions I have regarding 6v front mount EI upgrade. One thing I'm confused about though. What is the difference between the ballast resistor (ceramic looking resistor) and the coil resistor (resistor mounted on bakelite board)? Looking at different diagrams and discussions they seem to be interchanged. How and where are each used?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JamieM wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:27:32 05/17/21) just ran across this old thread and answered many questions I have regarding 6v front mount EI upgrade. One thing I'm confused about though. What is the difference between the ballast resistor (ceramic looking resistor) and the coil resistor (resistor mounted on bakelite board)? Looking at different diagrams and discussions they seem to be interchanged. How and where are each used?
Both are 'ballast' resistors, just as 'ballast' was used to stabilize a ship. People confuse words all the time! The added ceramic blob is generally used when using a 6v coil on a 12v system. The BIG PROBLEM with the ceramic blob is the value of its resistance....they can run all over a range of 5 or 10 times to one! If wrong, you will have problems.

JamieM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, thanks. That's part of my confusion then. The '48 8N I bought with a 6V generator (no 12V alternator) has both resistors on the firewall. As far as I can tell, it's a 6V tractor. I installed a 6V battery. The gentleman who owned the tractor and maintained it and rebuilt it died. So bottom line, on a 6V system I SHOULDN"T be using BOTH resistors, correct? Probably why I have no spark after EI install. I had no spark before either which is why I went straight to the EI upgrade. Looks like I have some re-wiring to do.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JamieM wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:31:24 05/18/21) ok, thanks. That's part of my confusion then. The '48 8N I bought with a 6V generator (no 12V alternator) has both resistors on the firewall. As far as I can tell, it's a 6V tractor. I installed a 6V battery. The gentleman who owned the tractor and maintained it and rebuilt it died. So bottom line, on a 6V system I SHOULDN"T be using BOTH resistors, correct? Probably why I have no spark after EI install. I had no spark before either which is why I went straight to the EI upgrade. Looks like I have some re-wiring to do.

More questions in that commentary. If it is a 6V system why is that ceramic blob (yeah I like that description Very Happy ) on the machine? The knowns so far: new 6V ignition module and battery. That in itself should work. The rest is a big Question work outwards from the knowns. Ditch "The Blob" and if the coil and distributor are good you should get spark. Then you can move on to getting it to run a d then charge.

TOH

JamieM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Old Hokie (VT Grad?). Yes the 2 resistors are confusing. I was just looking at a wiring diagram by Jim Lawrence online that show the 2 resistors in series on a 12V conversion, not a 6V. I'll remove "THE BLOB" and see what happens. (BTW I'm 20 mi from Blacksburg Smile )

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JamieM wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:52:29 05/18/21) Thanks Old Hokie (VT Grad?). (BTW I'm 20 mi from Blacksburg Smile )

Class of 73 and if i had been able to find a suitable job I would be your neighbor. Most of my family are Hokies and my niece (class of 200?) Is the only one that managed to stay in the area. She is currently making good use of her hard earned BS baking artisan bread in Pearisburg when she is not tubing Rolling Eyes

JamieM
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix 1247P6 Electronic Ignition Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:06:18 05/18/21)
JamieM wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:52:29 05/18/21) Thanks Old Hokie (VT Grad?). (BTW I'm 20 mi from Blacksburg Smile )

Class of 73 and if i had been able to find a suitable job I would be your neighbor. Most of my family are Hokies and my niece (class of 200?) Is the only one that managed to stay in the area. She is currently making good use of her hard earned BS baking artisan bread in Pearisburg when she is not tubing Rolling Eyes

Laughing

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters