Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

i cant fix this.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can fix a tractor, but not my quad starter. WTH! dam magnets are glued to the case and all got wiped off and stuck to armature. wonder if there is a strong epoxy to re-glue them? lucky happened at home , as no rope start, or push start. thought honda was better than that. new honda starter 423.00 jobber 152.00 going with the jobber.

UncleTom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you try to epoxy it, dont mix the poles of the magnets up.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would make sure i put them where they came from, and use gorilla epoxy C clamping them for a day.
Epoxy

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked Amazon? I have to put a new one on my Yamaha every few years. I couldn't tell you right off the top of my head what I've been paying, but they're cheap in my opinion.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be my luck, starter runs backward.

I'm cheap, but I would spring for a new starter.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I epoxied one in, and it was also broken! It worked.

But I would be hesitant to try all four. It's essential they go in the exact location and polarity. Not much to loose if you can see where they go and the direction by the old glue print. There is very little clearance between the magnets and the armature. They must seat completely against the case, clamped until the epoxy sets.

Good luck!

Kansas4010
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same here. I have to replace the starter in my JD Buck every few years. I think JD wanted $500 for one. The exact starter through Amazon was around $60. It's been a couple years so I expect it has went up some but I doubt they've matched Jd pricing yet.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a new jobber one on order. not going to fool around with trying to glue 6 magnets and 2 are split in half. as you see they are stuck onto the armature here. if i had only the honda 400.00 starter available, i would be tempted to try the fix.

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nobody you know has tried to make that thing crank by beating on the starter have they? On lawnmowers, if we find broken magnets, we can usually find pecker marks on the case.

You need a new starter, with the broken magnets, it will never work right again. Instead of having 4 fields, now you have 6 and they are not going to work with the armature which is set up for 4 fields.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought one off ebay for $38, free shipping for my Honda Rancher. Higher priced ones for 183 to $225...cheap one has a Honda trademark and works great.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you read what I posted? I already know what u posted, plus it has 6 magnets not 4 as u guys are telling me. All I asked if it was possible to reglue the magnets back on. But with no clearance in between the magnets and armature and 2 broken magnets its not worth even trying. I have fixed lots of tractor and vehicle starters but nothing like these Cracker Jack prizes.

sammydwm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used to work in a motor rewind shop and every once in a while a milk hauler would bring on his DC pump with the magnets loose. We always sold them a new motor.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So a couple of guys got the magnet count wrong. Is that worth an attack? You've been around a while, and you know that trying to get an exact answer for an exact question in an online forum is like herding cats.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll fix it:

"Instead of having 6 fields, now you have 8 and they are not going to work with the armature which is set up for 6 fields."

"But I would be hesitant to try all six."

I'm curious though, how old is the machine? Original starter?

Mashbox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ordered a $69.95 starter from Amazon for my Honda Foreman in December of 2019 and it has worked perfectly.

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: i cant fix this. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've done 2 with JB Weld. One magnet in my Minn Koda trolling motor was broke into 4 pieces. The other was a snowmobile starter. Both are still going after 2 years. The biggest issue was spacing properly and holding in place while setting.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters