Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Converting a F2 floating bar header

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pea_grower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Converting a F2 floating bar header Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dummy me. I'm trying to convert a F2 floating bar header to a straight with a pitman. I want to closely match my row planter and be able to chop straw and spread evenly so that I can doublecrop. Every time I turn around it is different.

I'm replacing the end piece on the drive end. The straight cut head, that I'm using, has a "plate" all the way across under the header pan. Haven't been able to see it in the parts book. How important are those pieces?

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting a F2 floating bar header Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here we just dont see straight headers since the 1960s, too many soybeans, not enough small grains, and we swather the small grains anyhow.

So its hard for me to visualize what parts you dealing with.

You do know most floating sickles can be locked up by moving some spring clamps up to the front, making them a rigid sickle?

Paul

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting a F2 floating bar header Reply to specific post Reply with quote

F3 was a pretty nice wobble box, and flex curved steel sheet steel.

F was a straight header, with a Love bar conversion to have an angled steel sheet to give a little flex, pitman drive.

Which way did the F2 go?

Paul

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Converting a F2 floating bar header Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the F2 had a Pittman drive for the knife, but used a set of helper springs on the lift cylinders. There was a small hydraulic lockout control just outside the cab window used when the header was floating. Series 3 headers were a big improvement. The older header should have the lock up position as well as a Pittman drive. Not many up in this area.

Ben

pea_grower
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Converting a F2 floating bar header Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The head being converted is a 13'. I have another 13' with floating bar that is in better shape. If all else fails, I figured I'd lock it up and use it. I've cut wheat with it before.

The drive end plates are different. 71308247 vs 71309023

The angle iron piece, that goes across where guards bolt on, is different, pitman one is slightly longer to give more stability to that end piece I guess. It comes off a 16', so holes for securing it to the header housing are different. 71307340 vs 71128229, I think.

Conveyor/cross auger stub shaft (gudgeon as the book calls it) is different. Shorter for the floating bar, 71305423 vs 71302358

Haven't found that the main drive shafts are different.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters