Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Straw

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1660 CIH has a chopper, what do I need to do to leave a windrow of wheat straw?

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would remove the stationary knives, drop the pan away from
the chopper, remove the straw spreaders, and move the chopper
belt to slow speed.

Haley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Erik,I'm not a I.H. rotary expert but have yet to see one that put out good straw for baling even without a chopper.In tougher straw it may be possible but in the extremely dry straw we have had the past two years they chew it up something awful.I am sure some of the RED guys will correct me on this but this is just my opinion based on real world conditions here in central GA.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wouldn't that be addressed in the operator manual? I do know that straw out of a rotary is often harder to bale than what comes out of a conventional. On a conventional M2 Gleaner, I just disconnect the drive belt and slide the chopper forward after removing 2-4 bolts. On an F2, I remove two bolts, let the chopper drop, and push it beyond vertical, and I hold it in place with a HM angle iron......straw drops to the ground.

Straw Boss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We always hired the neighbor to harvest with a green machine with straw walkers if we wanted to leave straw. If you don't want to pay him, trade some harvesting with him acre for acre or barter with some baling or a share of the straw crop. If not an option, follow the tips the other posters suggested.

I can add this. There are directional vanes inside the rotor cage on top. Turn them to the rear position to move the crop through as quick as possible to minimize break up of the straw. You may want to slow the rotor and drop the concave to the point of not threshing all the grain also to minimize break up of the straw.

Harvest when the straw is tough. You may still find the straw difficult to bale as the straw length will be severly shortened. In order to pick it up with the baler, you may have to do all the baling at night with as much dew as possible just to get it to feed and roll a decent bale.

old harv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have baled straw combined by a CaseIH with a JD 385 but it's not fun. It's really short and starting the bales is a pain, plus you need lots of string or net wrap. Your new baler will work if anything does. I drove very slowly until the bale started to roll in the chamber. The BTO whose straw I was baling switched from CIH to JD combines just for the straw. The bales blow up if you handle them rough and they don't roll out nicely for bedding. Have fun!

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All that below will help.
If you need a lot of really good bedding straw, use a stripper head to harvest the wheat then swath and bale the totally unmolested straw.
We have done this for years and really like the full length straw that stays fluffy and dry for cattle bedding.

BANDITFARMER
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want straw to bale leave the IH in the barn and get someone with a walker machine to cut the wheat. Around hear even the landscape guys dont want any straw out of a rotary combine bailed up to use, Its just to wadded and twisted and chewed up to use for anything. That is the big draw back to a rotary combine you just dont get a good quality straw to bale. If you use the IH to cut with you will wish you still had your old Massey when you start bailing. Bandit

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think it is the chopper that chews the straw up. The rotor has it ground up long before it gets to the chopper.

Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything that Banditfarmer said.

If you want straw find someone to do it with a walker machine.

I buy some small squares of straw from my neighbor each year for bedding. He uses his 1460 IH, slows things down, combines when it's tough, etc. to get straw long enough to bale... and still is lucky to get 1/3 the bales as he would with a walker. The last time he baled some for me (from behind a 9500 JD)he was amazed at the volume of straw.

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please reread the original question. That is the question I was trying to help with.

nickg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put the chopper up to the highest setting outof the knives and take your spreaders off and sometimes you have to drop the pan at the back by the spreaders and you have to slow your ground speed down a little or your tailings level gets to high. I think its called the shaker pan.You mite have to slow your rotor down a little less than what the factory settings are and open the concaves a little to not chew the straw as bad. a lot of people like the long straw from a walker machine and dont like the short straw from a rotory one but its really a matter of opinion. Square baled a lot of straw behind are red machines with no problems and no complaints from straw buyers.

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A gentleman in England told me that the IH rotary combine was "bloody useless" if you wanted to bale the straw afterwards. The gentleman in question worked for IH in Doncaster!

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see straw baled behind Red rotor machines all
the time. Yes its shorter but it will bale.

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Eric and Nick that is what I was looking for. I've heard it both ways, I plan to square bale about 40 acres of straw. I do not want to hire it cut.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters