Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Is something brewing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I noticed over the past few weeks that my horses haven't been really shedding out there winter coats yet. Most years they start shedding heavily in mid febuary, I mean if you brush your arm against them, you get a coat arm covered in hair. This year there still pretty fuzzy with only a little shedding. I was thinking maybe were in for another cold snap, a big storm, or a damp wet spring??? Any way just something I observed and was thinking about, have a great day all!

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've all heard things like this forever. I always have a problem with this, in that we have to be saying that the animals physiology somehow makes its body able to predict small, future weather/climate events?
I would think it's more likely that animals involuntary action(like shedding) would be based on the past, not the future. As in how cold it's been, day length, and the overall trend of heat/light/seasonal cycles.
Maybe the problem is, if creatures can really predict the future, we're not smart enough to read them!
Our cat sure is shedding.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might be on to something, hard to be certain, weather is still "you're gonna get what ya get when ya get it !" the way I see it, though the weather app on the smart phone is very handy, along with all the rest we have today.

I have not seen red winged blackbirds, they are a month late, I usually start seeing them in mid February, not sure what else might be in the same category, some Robins stay, but you will see flocks coming back. Geese are late too, be nice if they just skipped this place.

Real nice out there today, going to be a bit sloppy, I was almost dried out, another day, then the darned snow, minor set back.

Good day to spend on next years firewood, might just finish up those logs today, then time to tow more in.

Super Steve
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

our horses are shedding pretty good right now and ive been seeing alot of geese this past week to but i dont think we are in the clear yet.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob'
Time changes tonight, so tomarrow their hair will all fall out. HeHe. Perhaps Jay's horses know that the market for horsehair brushes is down and they are hedging their supply. Sure is a pretty day out there. 40F already. enough of this chatter, I'm heading out.
Loren

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine aren't shedding much either, but We never seem to get much of a weather break until after Easter

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just stay away from that coffee pot. You're wired up enough already!

Lazy WP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine haven't shed either, and today we are getting the most snow we have had all year. Started raining in the night. About 5 it started sleeting, and since daylight, we have had more then 4 inches of snow.
I TRULY believe, animals will predict the weather 100% more accurately then the so call professional weather guessers!!!

jose bagge
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's the light- horses shed out based on light. Keep em under light 24/7 all winter and they never fluff up. It's been a particularly dreary winter out here and my horses look like cotton balls. Once they start getting some light on em, I expect we'll be up to our waist in shredded fur.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is something brewing? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope, nuthin brewn', next week! Russian Stout!

Rick

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters