Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT; CB radios

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dose anyone here still use CB radios and know of a chat site for them? Thanks Jim

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have CB's in both my pickup and my car.

My car is probably one of the few 4 wheelers around with a CB, but as much time as I spend on the road doing real estate inspections, for me a CB is handy. It's handy for checking road conditions, or if everyone on the Interstate starts to slow down it's nice to be able to pick up a mic and ask what's going on.

Don't know of any forums or chat sites for CB'ers. There's no where near the chatter there used to be. Now it's mostly just business.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a CB in every truck and we have to use them at several of the feed plants. I leave mine on while driving but rarely use it. There just are not as many people using them any more. I think a lot of it has to do with cell phones. IF you are with a group of people traveling we used to talk back and forth on the CB but now you just use your cell phone. I would not go to the trouble of putting one in a car or pickup anymore.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought 'em in the 70's; pulled them in the early 80's.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's really a shame. The cell phone has replaced the CB for all intents. With the CB people talked and listen too all kinds of interesting conversations while out driving. I talked to truckers, bums, retirees, business people, teachers and others from all walks of life. Was interesting to get to know them a lest a little. Now people only talk to others on their speed dial.

LOL now I want to go and hook one up again Shocked

Rick

Corona Boy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have CBs in both of my trucks. Do a lot of listening to the loggers to and from work. Also have one in the school bus I drive. Comes in REAL handy to give a loaded log truck a heads up about what Im doing and when and where I am stopping the bus. Its nice that they aren't as popular. Not nearly the jibber jabber that there once was. Just guys who make their living behind the wheel.

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

back in the 70's/80's, used them in the company truck to run the interstate with others, after getting off road, they sat in basement for 20 years, now new job, need them to talk with formans, plant loaders,,can't believe the trash talking still going on them today,, if i didn't need them, they would still be in basement...all channels are used for trash or talk .. if you don't want anyone to hear something, don't say it on the airways, everyone can hear you..

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've got one in a truck we bought- might be helpful to use sometimes when there's traffic problems.

What channel is the one generally monitored and used by the few who still use CB?

Gambles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to a buddy who is getting his CDL (commercial driver's license), there is a question on the current state CDL test that asks what you should do after an accident that happened while driving a truck. The only correct answer on the test is that you should call the police using your CB radio. There are a lot of trucks that don't have a CB radio and I'm not so sure the cops really listen to it anymore anyway.

Stan - Florida
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't used one for years, but my first one was a 5 channel Johnson that didn't have channel 19 on it. Had to change the crystal to get 19,

First handle I had was "Headhunter" as I was a recruiter for the company I worked for. Later changed it to "Road Apple"...had a lot of fun explaining that one to folks that didn't know horses.

Stan

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

channel 19 was the univerisal channel for highway, still used,,[as where ch-9 was emergencys, dought if use for anymore]..

bobs old iron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

some state troopers way out of city limits, might still use them on open highways, in case of emergencys..[stupid question on test], with everyone having cells today, some one will call 911

DoubleR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have my case with a CB mounted on it in case my retirement takes a dump and I have to go trucking again. I would not travel without it. I didn't talk allot on it but sure was handy and saved me many a times on the road. I would not truck without one.
I have one on my motorcycle I have used it on the trips I take and has saved me more than once to avoid traffic problems if nothing else. I also have one in my pickup that I can turn on if needed. If you think nobody still uses them just come on a major traffic problem in heavy traffic and you will find out otherwise.

tomNE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have my high-powered one and my truck hopping one for when i was slip seating. both have manual dials. might not ever use them again but keep them....just in case!!!

ttown54
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: OT; CB radios Reply to specific post Reply with quote

still have 1 in the truck I turn it on to place my order every time I roll down the hill at the gravel quarry that way when I come up to the there are no surprises , use it at the landfill to call for help , its a mucky mess ,

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters