Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mrs redtom's 06 Torrent(equinox). Front brg bad. Got 3 bolts out holding bearing in but brg stuck in corroded aluminum knuckle. How the he!! do I get it out? Been pounding and used chisel to try to open a crack up, made a mess, but diid get a little start. Tried heat on alum knuckle but have to avoid boot. I'm slowly trashing the part that I call the knuckle.

AScheele
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lots and lots of pb blaster or some other kind of penetrating oil. then hit the bearing on the wheel flange with a good sized ball pein hammer, 32 to 40 ounces. avoid beating on the aluminum knuckle, they do like to break. ive done it myself at work. after you get the bearing out, wire brush all the white crusty corrosion out of it and coat the hole where the bearing fits with more anti sieze than you think youll ever need. Heat is a bad idea on the aluminum knuckles, seems to make them break easier to me.

Mike3320

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one on my truck i used a spliting wedge and sledge on. Split bearing in twopounded the back half out. But i was fed up wgen i got sledge and maul out.

redtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've wailed on the back of the hub portion with a sledge until I started bending the hub out. I found on the net an idea which seems good. Put an old rotor on and tighten nuts so you go a good place to wail on back side. Too bad i just scrapped the old rotors from the last brake job!

donfarm

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure there aren't four bolts?

jackbrit
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To remove the hub bearing on my jeep, I used a socket extension jammed into the right spot and used the power steering and turning the steering wheel to pop it out. Sure did beat the hammer and wedge!

Super Steve
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An air hammer is your best friend when doing them, if you can't use one, just keep beating it like it owes you money

Sprint 6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the knuckle off and put it in a press. Been there several times.

hillbillyjack

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sprint 6 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:16:49 03/16/13) Take the knuckle off and put it in a press. Been there several times.

This is the right answer.

Roger Tomfohrde
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cut fine thread bolts off that were 1/2 inch in dia. so they would just fit between the flanges. Put a nut on and then unscrewed the nuts a little at a time, had to use a couple different length bolts and it was time consuming. 2002 Saturn VUE. There is three on the front four on the back. Make sure if you have ABS to get the right hub assembly. I just had the garage do a back yesterday for me as I didn't have time to do it myself. The back are easier to do. One poster said to use a press, that might be what you have to do.Mine were really stuck.

redtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the front edge started a very tiny bit with sledge. This AM knocked out wheel studs and was able to find two flat spots on rear of knuckle to put "pusher" bolts through wheel stud holes. These combined with sledge on front edge finally got it. If I hadn't got the front with hammer I don't think this would have worked because there is no where to push in the front of the knuckle. Results:Disassebly 5 hours-Reassembly 1 hour. Argh (oh and one small oh sh!t on the edge of momma's fender-well from sledge)

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't you admire the "wisdom" of those engineers when they use the two enemies steel and alluminum together in these places where the unavoidable corrosion tend to fuse them together Rolling Eyes
When i was waiting for a tire swap on my truck to get finnished I watched a couple guys from the tireshop trying to take a set of alluminum duals off a dodge 1 ton in order to change tires.
By the time i paid up drove away an hour later they were still swearing and beating the daylights out of the first set.

Jim B. in OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OT:FWD whl brg,got bolts out, now what?! GM experts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slide hammer with axle attachment.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=SER41700_0054344560

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters