Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Ram V6

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdandersom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anybody here tried the new Dodge Ram pickup with the V6 engine?What do you think?The ads claim ridiculously good fuel economy.My Dakota with the 4.9 V8 is killing me on fuel.I ran a Ranger 4cyl manual for years and never dreamed I would be buying this much gas.

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get you an F 150 v6 Eco Boost if you really want to see gas millage and not give up performance.

Dblair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are you referring to the new v6 diesels ? they have a lot of power . 420 ft lbs of torque and 240 hp .

Last edited by Dblair on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Kr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodge achieves that mileage with a short box 2wd work truck, no options. That way the truck is as light as possible. The truck also has a new 8 speed automatic transmission which helps a lot.

Remember this line... "EPA estimated mileage" This is very important. Automotive manufacturers cannot technically self certify their mileage, but can use their own estimates by running the EPA test. The EPA has went back and make OEMs correct their OPTIMISTIC mileage predictions. Hyundia/Kia are in a class action lawsuit right now because of their erronous claims.

To your question, I bet that Ram truck is pretty close. Another thing to remember, most people dont drive like the EPA test so dont expect 25mpg unless you baby it.

My truck stickers 21mpg on the highway. I can get 19+ with it. This is driving very easy at 65mph. crew cab 4x4, 5.3 Chevy. It use to get almost 21mpg before some dummy put a lift kit and bigger tires on it. I look at the dummy every morning in the mirror.

My two cents.
Rick

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have one of the last that you could get with a manual trans. regular cab, full bed, 2wd,3.55 rearend. gets about 25-27 highway, so their claims are probably in the ballpark. -john-

molinebob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second this....I dont think anyone will come close to the horse power and milage that the for v6 eco boost gets..just saying...Bob

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd get the hemi in the 1500 before the ecoboost, way more power and you still get around 20-22mpg with the new 8 speed and the right gears, and the hemi would walk circles around the ecoboost with the 395hp

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, remember the EPA test cycle uses very conservative driving.
The highway cycle uses 75 F summer blend fuel,
acceleration not to exceed 3.3 mph per second (about 18 seconds 0-60). Top speed must not exceed 60 mpg, cycle average speed about 48 mph.

If you accelerate faster or drive faster, your mpg will be less.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may be rated more, but in real life the little eco-boost will run circles around it. The eco-boost has torque down low, not at 4600. pulls like a diesel. try one! Vic

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an 07 Silverado classic (left-over 06 model) 4x4 half ton v6. Don"t know what the rating was but if I ran tow mode and and could hold a steady 60-63 MPH I could get 21-22, one tank I hit 23+, over 4 days of driving.

Dan50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know. 8 speeds scares me., seems like more to go wrong potentially.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trust me I've drove one, I drive a hemi every day and the hemi is way more than the ecoboost, that's why they run the hemi in the 2500 to, try a hemi there wild.the ecoboost didn't hold a candle to the hemi. The 5.7 hemi will outpull out haul the ecoboost any day of the week hands down, no comparison.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

G1355 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:51:02 03/16/13) I'd get the hemi in the 1500 before the ecoboost, way more power and you still get around 20-22mpg with the new 8 speed and the right gears, and the hemi would walk circles around the ecoboost with the 395hp

Really? I have a friend who now drives a Ford because his Dodge 1500, HEMI wouldn't pull his Featherlight aluminum horse trailer empty in OD and only got about 10 MPG with that empty trailer on. He got the truck new and 6 months later it was gone.

Look at the torque cruve on the V8 compaired to the EcoBoost. Torque is what makes an engine pull, not HP. I know you love your FIAT/RAM HEMI's but there are other considerations besides having the HEMI tag on the truck. I myself never run an engine over about 3K unless I really have to. Now we will not talk about how many RPM's I ran my 68 GTO at when I was 19 but I loved making that 400 scream!

Rick

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might of got 10mpg, torque does pull, but the right gears help
a ton to, same gears in the ford and dodge the hemi will
outpull the ecoboost especially with the 8 speed hands down

molinebob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Ram V6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodge dosent even make a true hemi anymore, they were gonna lose the rights to the hemi name so they started using the name again, do some research on it and find out for yourself, the new "HEMI" isnt even close to the old "HEMI" All it was in the old days was the heads and combustion chamber, just a different shape...Fords eco boost will outperform any chevy or dodge v8 on the market plus get better mileage...and its a v6

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters