Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need Info on TD 20 dozer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry B. 1486
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am going to look sometime later this week at a IH TD 20 dozer. It's suppose to be a 1972 model. Anyone had any experience with one. Never ran a IH TD 20. What would it compair to a CAT size? D5, D6? Are the power shift or is old enough to have a clutch? Also, what size motor did they use. Have ran CASE and some CATS in the past. Seen some what of a picture of the controls. Throttle in the middle? Seering levers in the middle and shift on the left? Is this correct? anyone have any pros or cons on these machines. Will be used on the farm. Thanks for any info before I drive 150 miles.

Joel59
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 20 is bigger than a D6 by a good deal. At least D7 size.

DWF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a TD15-C but I've never been on a TD-20.
I believe by 1972 it would have been a TD20-C and they had a V8 I believe 573 cubic inch. Some have said the V8's were troublesome in some applications, but usually in a dozer they weren't so bad as they were not under a steady load like a farm tractor. I would think it would have a power shift with the shifting and throttle like you said. If it's like the 15 it will have a decelerator on the floor. I believe the TD20's had 2 speed steering which a lot of operators liked.
That's about all I can help you with. Remember to do a good check of the undercarriage.
DWF

Larry B. 1486
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DWF. The add says 6 speed transmission and 6 cyl engine. The 6 speed has me confused?

DWF
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really don't know much about the TD-20's but, according to info I have, a 72 would be a a TD20-C.
A 1962 would be a TD-20 201 series with a gas start diesel and 6 speed manual transmission. This would be 140 horsepower vs 185 horsepower for a TD20-C.
You will have to check it out. In between 1963 and about 1971 was a TD20-B which had a direct start 6 cyl but my info says it would be power shift but it could have a direct drive too.
DWF

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran one at the IH Construction Equipment grounds here in Phoenix in 1972. I really liked it. After the other salesmen had made a roller coaster of the work area with the dozer, the IH guys came and got me near the end of the day to level the ground out again for the next day! I had a ball with that machine!! I guess I wan the only one of the guests that had actual dozer experience.

bigdiesel

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

had a TD 20B had the 6 cyl. DT 429 diesel good engine, 6 speed means 3 speed power shift with a 2 speed high/low

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry Real easy IF it truly is a 1972 it is going to have a V8 IH engine and be a C model machine. Before that the model was a B model back to the early 60s and they ran a 6 cyl Ih engine.
That tractor is far more than your cat D5 or D 6 compares to the CAT D 7 and was actually a little faster on the ground than the D7 E. Most folks consider the B model with the 6 cyl to be more dependable than the C model with the V8. Have owned them both and one thing is for sure you do not want to run the v8 low of water or radiator stopped up. They were bad to crack the heads if ran hot.

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry To clear up the transmission issue. Bothe the B & C were THREE speed power shift but then in the floor board there is a manual shift hi and lo lever so in affect they were 6 speed but I would ventur to say 90 % of the machines operators ever moved the floor shift. I have made several service calls to operators saying their machine would not move. All that had happened is some kid played on the machine and knocked the manual part in natural and the operator neve noticed it. Thus machine would not move.

tanman_2006
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jm. wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:30:27 03/21/13) Larry To clear up the transmission issue. Bothe the B & C were THREE speed power shift but then in the floor board there is a manual shift hi and lo lever so in affect they were 6 speed but I would ventur to say 90 % of the machines operators ever moved the floor shift. I have made several service calls to operators saying their machine would not move. All that had happened is some kid played on the machine and knocked the manual part in natural and the operator neve noticed it. Thus machine would not move.

Our TD 20 C is slightly bigger than a D7 and moves faster, as said, than a D7. Has the V8 and has never had an overhaul, runs like a new.

Larry B. 1486
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Info on TD 20 dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drove about 150 miles and it turned out to be a TD 20 E with a V8 and 3 speed with 2 speed track stear. He explained that pulling the levers only half way back just reduced that track speed by half to help turning with a load in front of the blade and all the way back braked the track. Looked like a 3 speed shift with a leaver for foward and reverse. Did not get to run it because he was having the rollers rebuilt and the tracks were split. The motor started right off and sound good. Am going back in three weeks when he has it back together.Does anyone know if the E's are good machines?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters