Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A Perfect Furrow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I plowed half the garden yesterday with my 2-12 IH Little Wonder Plow. I said to myself this is the last time I will plow with it. I'm retiring it after this. I made one extra furrow cutting into my lawn at the edge of the garden to make the garden just 2ft wider and I couldn't believe what I saw. This plow always was great at plowing nice furrows but to lay the sod over in one piece like it did is unbelievable.

This little plow really tries hard to do a good job and she did. I'm going to paint her up and place her in the yard with other pretty things around her soon.

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like the dirt was still a tad too wet to plow.

MJ in the UK
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John, I am also ploughing this Sunday. I am orginising the last ploughing match of the season. I have got about 80 ploughmen coming to compete from all over the UK. I plough with a UK built IH B250 tractor and IH B12 2 furrow mounted plough. We will be ploughing corn stalks in on light land at 6 to 7 inches deep with 10 inch wide furrows. MJ

TomA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In over 50 years of plowing I have only used one plow that would leave a nice clean furrow like that. No matter how I set them I cannot get the plows I have now to leave a furrow like that. They plow well and will buck uphill well but do not leave a straight clean furrow like that. I would say that plow is too good to retire

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My moldboards plowed purdy furrows for over 20 years,then I moved onto black clay where they just alternate pulling out huge clumps of soil and stalling the tractor. Crying or Very sad

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Little damp was it? :>)

Allan

Rick Kr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You cant retire that plow after it just made the perfect furrow. You need to keep it working.

About 1 more week here and we should be able to get in the fields.

Rick

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John B.,

So does the Little Wonder stay in the ground good, if it is tough plowing? My husband's Little Genius stays in really good... he was curious if the Wonder does too.

We bid on, but did not get, a Little Wonder with flat beams last summer. We both like the look of the forged beams better.

Sure you want to retire it? Could go to plowing shows - a lot of fun. Nice plowing by the way, really straight and nice even ends.

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My thought is, maybe you should have done this last fall to let the weather help break up the sod?

JD John
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's that green stuff you are plowing under? We still got piles of snow and could get 2 inches tonight! That is a perfect furrow! John

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow! What is that blackish brownish stuff under that grass? Down here only rocks hide under the grass!! Nice dirt!!

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow John. My ground's way too wet to plow yet. Ran the tiller through it this morning to help it dry out and had to clean the mud off my shoes each round.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: A Perfect Furrow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JohnB,
Looks like you have a 6ft woods on your IH. I put a 6ft on my IH C and had to remove the hitch. So, do you have an IH H or IH M?
George

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters