Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

jump start 6v fom 12v

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Yoder
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

remind me of the correct safe procedure for jumping 12 v to 49 6v battery, please. Again, thanks for all you guys & gals help with the electronic conversion issues we had!

Jubilee85(VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

never go battery to battery!
make sure in neutral - lock clutch down if possible - go from 12 volt source - connect the correct leads, - To - and then + on 12 volt battery to the 6 volt starter! It is going to spin even if the key is off, so make sure the key is in the run position. Even if one is positive ground and the other negative, make the last connection to the starter of the 6 volt tractor. SO if the tractor is positive GROUND, the last connection will be a - lead to the starter.....
hope I did not confuse the he!! out of you, and if I missed something - some one will point it out!

JCinKY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jubilee85(VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:42:02 06/26/13) never go battery to battery!
make sure in neutral - lock clutch down if possible - go from 12 volt source - connect the correct leads, - To - and then + on 12 volt battery to the 6 volt starter! It is going to spin even if the key is off, so make sure the key is in the run position. Even if one is positive ground and the other negative, make the last connection to the starter of the 6 volt tractor. SO if the tractor is positive GROUND, the last connection will be a - lead to the starter.....
hope I did not confuse the he!! out of you, and if I missed something - some one will point it out!

Don't even worry about tractor battery polarity.

After its in neutral and key on, hook either cable to starter hot and ground that sucker to the chassis! If it makes you feel better + to starter hot and - to frame.

Starter don't know polarity, it will turn in the correct direction.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jub 85 must be a lawyer---lets keep it simple..Do all the safety stuff he said-------connect jumper leads to 12 volt battery as usual.....clamp red(+) lead to starter stud..now just ground the neg. lead to the radius rod or wherever you desire to get ground...All there is to it...(Note: (Really don"t matter which lead you connect to the starter-just connect one and ground the other to the frame) I like connecting to the starter stud then jab the other one at the radius rod---jabbing the starter last arcs and messes up the threads on the starter stud--you might want to get that nut off later)

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And most IMPORTANT!don't forget to make sure the transmission is in neutral.Ya don't want to run over your self!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another good reason to convert your tractor to 12 volts.
Safer.
Most people know how to jump 12v to 12v.
But most people don't know how to safely jump a 6v tractor with a 12V battery.

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Even if you jumper the starter with a 12 volt battery as explained you will still need enough juice in the regular battery to fire the ignition. If your regular battery is low it is best to charge it up before trying to start.

Jubilee85(VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom,
not a lawyer.....just an old "shop" teacher...same kinda job, one works with people who are guilty of something, another tries to teach em something so they wont be in the others room! Smile

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out tips 43 & 60.
75 Tips

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" Most people know how to jump 12v to 12v."

How about "some people know....".

I'm always amazed how most people think you need to connect the jumpers directly to the battery posts.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good Job--I respect anyone who has ever been a teacher or is one now..I couldn"t do it.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Better idea, keep your charging system in good shape and keep a good battery in your tractor.No need for boosting.

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: jump start 6v fom 12v Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jubilee85(VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:42:02 06/27/13) never go battery to battery!
make sure in neutral - lock clutch down if possible - go from 12 volt source - connect the correct leads, - To - and then + on 12 volt battery to the 6 volt starter!...

I have to jump to the battery on my 9N, not enough voltage to the ignition otherwise. Yea, I know I need to get a new battery and clean up the wiring some more but never seem to have the time to take it out of service to work on it (job, family, chores, fixin' all the crap that breaks around here constantly, etc.) runs strong after it starts and will restart by just bumping the starter button once it gets warm. Will probably be converting to 12V here soon however, getting to be a pain to drag the battery into the paddock where it sits attached to the manure spreader.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters