Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Old PTO generator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found a used, apparently quite old, generator for 540 PTO. Babson Brothers Co., Model 17970. 15KW, 115/230 volts. Babson has not existed since 1999. But they were the makers of Surge milkers. And maybe this unit was for farmers who might have power outage at milking time- or no electricity at all. Might have been above average quality. Runs quietly but voltage seems to not be stable. Didn't have much way to test that today as I looked at it at the seller's place.
Anyone know anything about this unit? Actually two generators running from one big gear box. Could some other company have been the manufacturer? Chances of finding parts if needed?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bearings and seals from anywhere. Generic Voltage regulators from eBay. Brushes by mixing and matching until something is found. Slip rings can be lightly trued and cleaned in a lathe.
If a stator or rotor winding is burned or laminations are loose. It"s scrap.
I would not invest a whole lot unless you really know what you are doing.
Each generator could be operated by a 10-12HP engine.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw something like that on a dairy farm once. The power was out and the farmer said that it worked just fine when the were milking and it was carrying a good load but when it was only running a light load, a few lights etc., one on the pair would run hot.

Dusty

Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It appears from visual inspection that each generator is 115 volts. The two are connected so that 230 volts is supplied to a NEMA 10-50 receptacle. The gear train synchronizes the two generators. Woe to the person who reassembles it and gets them out of "time". The voltmeter apparently reads only one generator as the scale stops at 150 volts- and the meter was broken. The only evident regulator was two small units that looked like transformers and I assumed that they were choke coils or similar. They were under a sheetmetal cover.
The nameplate on the unit had no Zip Code for the address-- so this unit probably pre-dates 1963.
The seller had a well-used Kubota L2550 with non-operative PTO and we went to his neighbor who had a Ford 4000 with inoperative tachometer. But the Ford ran smoothly.
Not sure if I will go look at the unit again. Located about 30 miles from me. It is possible that this was a premium quality unit- but I do not know. The absence of gear noise to boost from 540 to 3600 was surprising. That is one indication of quality.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only OEMs I know for PTO units. Were Onan,Winpower,Kato-Light.They did make units for other companies. Who put there name on them. Can you post some pictures.

Bus Driver
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How I wish I had thought of taking my camera with me. No photos yet.

massey333
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Billy,It is your favorite Co."GENERAC".JD,A-C and some others bought and sold them for a few yrs.Never worked all that well.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Old PTO generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You just had to say the G word. Think I am gonna be sick.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters