Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Michigan couple is suing Elmers Products, claiming that Krazy Glue won't actually glue anything to everything. They're asking for class action certification, which would extend the plaintiff party to anyone who has been disappointed with Krazy Glue. That would be pretty much anyone who has ever bought a tube of the stuff.

Before everyone gets their knickers in a knot, let me say I'm no fan of frivolous class action lawsuits like this one.

Actually, I have found one good application of Krazy Glue and similar cyanoacrylate adhesives. They're good for stitching up deep cuts and can save you a trip to the emergency room for stitches. I also it to patch up the cracks I get in my fingertips in the winter. Other than that, I can't think of anything I've actually successfully stuck together.
Metro Detroiters sue Krazy Glue

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use lots of it. Works fine on any fairly smooth, clean surface that isn't too porous. It's not wood glue or epoxy or Gorilla Glue or contact cement, but it works. Crazy glued the handle back on my favorite coffee mug 20 years ago and I'm still using it, right now.

Ivan in Mich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe they are trying to get the money to bail Detroit out of the hole

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Note the comment "her son in law is a lawyer". I have been a participant in 2 class action lawsuits, and have closely watched several others. In all of the successful ones each lawyer involved got several million dollars, but the consumers got practically nothing. One of them was a $20 certificate to purchase an item from the same company, and the others were checks between $12 and $25 which was less than 1/4 of what the consumer was shorted in what the advertising said and what he got. I am not saying all lawyers are bad, but the ones that go after the Class Action suits appear to be in strictly for the money with no real interest in helping the consume.

Note, Super glue and Krazy glue at one time came with instructions that if gluing porous items such as wood or leather you should apply a coating to the surface and allow it to dry before making the final application.

Last edited by john *.?-!.* cub owner on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember the movie "The Jerk"? Steve Martin invented the "Opti-grab", a little handle put out in front of eyeglasses to make them easier to put on and remove. Turns out it made everybody cross-eyed. Class action lawsuit followed, and Martin ended up having to personally write checks for $1.11 to about a million people.

You're right in observing that class actions are just a money-making project for lawyers, and any benefits to the consumer are purely incidental. They're all competing for clients, especially on medical stuff. You've all seen the mesothelioma ads- several competing law firms are trying to enlist as many plaintiffs as possible. A recent John Grisham novel, "The Litigators", is an excellent read on that subject.

Hal/ Eastern WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just finished "The Litigators" yesterday. I have read most of Grisham"s books, and like them a lot, but I have often been disappointed in the endings. Not this one. A fine book, with a teaser for a newer book, "Calico Joe" at the end, which I hope to get soon--the teaser caught me!

I have always loved to read and almost always have a novel going. I prefer paperbacks, since they store easier and cost less. I don"t know how many I have, but LOTS. More all the time.

I use Krazy Glue and Super Glue for some things, and I have always thought they worked very well to glue things that fit together very tightly. They also work great for paper cuts or cracks in the ends of fingers, although that might not be an APPROVED use by the manufacturer.

Mass torts may have their place, but from what I have read about a few of them, most of the time the actual or alleged victim ends up getting almost nothing. My wife joined a lawsuit for a diet drug she had taken years ago, but in the screening that was done, the doctors decided that her heart had no damage. A relief that there was no damage, and she did not have to pay for the screening, but she did not receive a cent out of the deal. Which was probably justice. I do think that some people and some lawyers were successful in getting some money from the drug manufacturer.

Two Dogs
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

“It just doesn’t seem right to be selling things with false advertising,” Can we get a refund on some/all politicians? TDF

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well Mark, I have to agree the one thing that "Super Glues" are good for are those pesky cracks you get on your fingers in the winter.
Try all the "lotions and creams" you want but for almost instant lasting relief, use Super Glue!

Gambles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dunno.....
In high school, I remember a few classmates that glued a chair down to the tile floor. By the time the janitor got the chair off the tile floor, there were four quarter-sized depressions pulled out of the tile floor. I guess the janitor had not yet heard of nail polish remover yet.

Teakettle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has other uses too. It's the absolutely perfect stuff for making nonstandard O-rings (by cutting a larger one to fit and gluing the ends together).

XRogerX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just used a few tubes fixing parts on my motorcycle fairing that weren't ABS. The liner portion of the fairing was made of a material called ASA, which was chosen because of its excellent weathering resistance. ABS glue melted it but the joint never cured. The trick was to wet it with Krazy Glue, then dust in some baking soda, and repeat until you have a good fillet of material built up around whatever you are attaching. I grabbed onto that tab and pulled vigorously, and the whole fairing bent, but the tab never budged.

If you lay down too much baking soda, the glue will not wet it properly and you get regions of unsaturated soda inside the "weld", kind of like slag inclusions I suppose, but if the soda gets thoroughly wetted, it gets as strong as epoxy. There is a slight chemical reaction that gives off smoke and heat when it is done right, which can't help but bond the piece even more.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two Dogs wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:36:33 07/31/13) “It just doesn’t seem right to be selling things with false advertising,” Can we get a refund on some/all politicians? TDF
There was a law suit over that several years ago, and supreme court finally ruled that politicians could not be held responsible for what they said while campaigning. I have not heard a truthful politician since.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, Is it me or Does the word Detroiters Explain it all.....Detroit is Broke, Its inhabitants ore Broke. Now both are looking to get Something for Nothing!!!
Later,
John A.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, sorry to disappoint you and Ivan, but the plaintiffs are residents of Oakland County, not Detroit. Oakland County is far from broke.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: News flash: Krazy Glue doesn't work Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I would love to have something effective to use on the cracks I get in the ends of my fingers. How do you use it? Do you squeeze the crack together and have someone else put the glue on it, or do you squeeze it together the best you can with the same hand and glue it yourself? Or do you put the glue on the crack without trying to squeeze it shut first? Do you just leave it on until it wears off, or do you eventually have to do something to remove it?

Thanks,

Stan

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters