Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

VA and Wood Splitter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdandersom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: VA and Wood Splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will the hydraulics on a VA be enough to run a wood splitter?

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VA and Wood Splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say it would run the splitter

but, it may be very slow, rpm of the tractor might have to be high and you may use a lot of fuel if you have a lot of wood to split. many of the older tractor had a low gal per minute hyd pump rate.

my splitter runs off a 8hp B&S engine, its setup on a small trailer type frame

so you have the tractor free to move wood around and (3 pt hitch lift) do whatever with the tractor.

has worked well for me for many years.
problem is the old splitter just does not get tired, it keeps going and going and going.

good luck and be safe, wood splitters can be dangerous.

oldproudvet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VA and Wood Splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used an old grain truck pump mounted on the splitter and run by the tractor pto. A very good use for a tractor w/o live power. A VAC worked for years, I now use a '48 SC and that works very good. We don't see the big elm crotches any more requiring real grunt, the elm bug has hit again but the trees are around 30 years old and don't need a lot. The normal ash/oak whatever work really really well. Tractor can work it just off idle. One nice sidelight to a pto splitter, is, it's usually at home 'cuz the neighbor doesnt' borrow the tractor too..................

Joe (Wa)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VA and Wood Splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The VA series engine mounted pump is rated 7 gpm @ engine rpm 1425. The eagle hitch relief valve is set at 800-850 psi so you should stay pretty much in that range if you"re going to tap off for a splitter.

That isn"t much omph for splitting and pretty slow using a usual 3 to 4" dia ~20 - 24 inch long cylinder. A good splitter will also have a 2 stage pump to get through the hard spots and than get back up to speed (volume) to expedite the cycle.

Joe

rbradk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: VA and Wood Splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have run a splitter off the hyd on a vac. It will do it. Slow and down on power as others have said. Does your VA have the high pressure pump under the belt pulley? That would be a higher pump output pressure.

mattwillson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: VA and Wood Splitter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The correct answer is no. I tried that and all i ended up doing was either blow the seal, pumping hydraulic oil into engine or blow the gasket in the pump halves. I ended up o-ringing the pump halves and drilling a case drain hole back to the low pressure side. I haven t tried it yet to see if it will work.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters