Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

steel entry doors with steel casement?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The front door to my house is rather cheesy.
One good kick with a workboot and my door will just fall in.
Who makes, and where can I get a steel entry door that has a steel frame? I looked at home depot, page after page is the standard foam core with thin steel exterior with a wood brick moulding.
Can somebody help me out here?

Tequila
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you want commercial or industrial door frame and door. They are , usually in 3-0 (36 inch) or larger , and are available thru industrial or specialty door and window stores. Look up Steel entry door, to find a dealer.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well first off forget getting much of anything of "Quality" at big box store. They sell to people that are price only crowd so quality is not much of a consideration.

Go to a regular lumber yard. They will be able to get you a commercial entry door. That is what you are looking for.

Frankmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To get a steel frame, you will have to get a commercial steel entry system. The rough opening sizes are different than for residential systems so probably not a good solution. Menards sells them on a special order and they are expensive. You can put a piece of flat iron on the outside of the frame with the proper holes drilled in it and it will make your door more secure. If someone wants in, they will get in anyway.

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes,
But, making it more difficult to get in is important.
Crooks want easy quick access.
I have a home alarm system. I also have a doorwall that is wedged shut with a 2x2 piece of wood. I have deadbolts, but the front door and the wood frame in my opinion will not stand up to an attack. Helping to prevent a break-in is a start. Having a home safe also helps.
Thanks for the info.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A.J. Manufacturing

Jason the Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Search "commercial hollow-metal door frames". If you go this route, a three piece knockdown frame would be your best bet for replacing your existing door. However, this style frame would require drilling and dimpling for additional fasteners for your security requirements.
Keep in mind these frames are typically meant to be installed with the wall sliding into the throat of the jamb. Therefore your wall thickness will dictate the frame you use. You can case the opening, then slide a welded frame into that opening and attach the frame to your casing. This requires "slugging" the frame with morter or concrete first. One advantage to going with a commercial door is the use of commercial hardware, which is far superior to residential in quality and security. I hope this info helps.
Hope this info helps.

gmccool
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are free to do as you wish but here is a idea. It sounds like security is the main issue for replacing the door. Why don't you just buy a OUT SWING door, I have installed dozens of them (lets just say in areas where there are a lot of euthenic back ground people that get there doors kicked in) They are just like regular doors with frames, brick moldings, thresholds, ect & look like they should be on a house rather than on a shop. But they swing OUT instead of IN. Gerald

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stanley makes them or at least used to. That's what we put on our old mobile home to replace the original crappy door.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EUTHENIC -- the word you have entered is not in the dictionary.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fire rated doors are steel with a steel frame---with a dead bolt added it is quite secure
got mine at home depot

gmccool
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Sportster I didn't proof read my comment nor did I use spell check. My comment was only intended to help someone resolve there problem. Gerald

Rich_WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dr sportster wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:36:00 09/29/13) EUTHENIC -- the word you have entered is not in the dictionary.

Ummmm..... yes.... it is. Do you need help finding it?

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what i said when I looked it up because I never heard of that word.

dr sportser

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: steel entry doors with steel casement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes Just post the definintion.That would be fine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters